iPhone screen knackering

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited December 2012 in Commuting chat
Dropped the phone sans case today (bloody idiot) in a motorway service carpark and have crazed the front screen (4s).

A qick webbing says about fifty quid to fix and a gazillion companies clamouring for my business.

Anyone done same and recommend a repair house that won't simply steal, clone and ID fraud me?
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• Just order a screen and do it yourself?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Youchoob is your friend to learn how to do it. Early Apple products were easy to get into, newer stuff less so but still doable. I replaced the battery in my early iPod in 10 minutes for £20 when Apple wanted £50 labour alone.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    SimonAH wrote:
    Dropped the phone sans case today (bloody idiot) in a motorway service carpark and have crazed the front screen (4s).

A qick webbing says about fifty quid to fix and a gazillion companies clamouring for my business.

Anyone done same and recommend a repair house that won't simply steal, clone and ID fraud me?

Repaired mine myself. Need a tiny screwdriver, but often eBay sellers provide a few tools with screens. You will need a heat gun or hair dryer to help unstick it, but I had neither and managed it with radiator heat....

My 3GS screen was a fiver, 4s screen may be a few quid more....

Plenty of help on t'interweb, and given you are an inveterate tinkerer I'm sure you have the curiosity, desire, patience and skill...
  • Work colleague was telling us of the same incident only yesterday. £6 and 15 min fix. Bought from eBay tools included. I'll get the details from him later if required.
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    its do-able

there is a full tear down destruction somewhere

let me google-fu it

Enjoy
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    remember 3 4 and 4s all have different screens. I trashed 4 screen and I think they are about 25 quid of ebay. 4s is more and a different procedure to replace.

Enjoy!
  • SimonAH
    Many thanks all - I may well give 'er a batter myself then.

Interesting Coriordan, I didn't realise that 4 and 4s had different screen glass - I'll have to be careful then.

Viva las hivemind!

• Anonymous
    I might have been wrong, but looking on ebay they are about 25 quid either way.

I would just double check the description as I thought the 4s was the high-resolution 'retina display'. Not sure if the glass or something behind the glass controls that.

I do know that the install procedure for 4 and 4s is different
  • PBo
    coriordan wrote:
    I might have been wrong, but looking on ebay they are about 25 quid either way.

I would just double check the description as I thought the 4s was the high-resolution 'retina display'. Not sure if the glass or something behind the glass controls that.

I do know that the install procedure for 4 and 4s is different

The display is different from the glass touchscreen. This one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-Touch-Screen-Glass-Digitizer-Replacement-for-iPhone-4S-/180962736504?pt=UK_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2a22383978#ht_4247wt_956

Is a fiver.

If its just the glass that's crazed, you need this. If the display is "bleeding" then you need a new display.
  • SimonAH
    Top find pBo - ordered.

• Anonymous
    Can I stick that on an iPhone 4? For some reason the 4 ones are much more expensive! My screen is eff'd as well.
  • PBo
    coriordan wrote:
    Can I stick that on an iPhone 4? For some reason the 4 ones are much more expensive! My screen is eff'd as well.
    This one is for a 4.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digitizer-iPhone-4G-LCD-Glass-Touch-Screen-Replacement-/320983097355?pt=UK_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item4abc15600b#ht_1654wt_796

The more expensive ones include the display as well as touchscreen, which you don't need if it's just cracked glass, but the display is fine...
  • Anonymous
    Awesome, thanks. Was wondering why it was so much more!
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    You effectively have two screens on iphones and others. The LED and the touchscreen. Just need to look to see which one, or both you've smashed.

I've replaced screens on two phones so far, and did my HTC last week for £20. Also ordered a replacement screen for the Kindle for £30 (these screens break if you even so much as look at them).
  • SimonAH
    Don't buy these glass replacements folks.

Fortunately I only wasted a fiver.....

Digging a little deeper it turns out that the LCD and the digitiser screen are glued together, and from one or two folks that I've found who have sucessfully separated them and then re-attached the LCD to the glass I've found a shedload who have borked it and voided their warranty into the bargain.

I have also discovered that the cheapie replacement glass is thinner, not the Apple Gorilla Glass, and doesn't have the special coating that stops it smearing really badly with finger tip juices.

In short, unusable rip-off product.

Damn.

• Anonymous
    Ok so that's a fiver down the drain. Thanks for stopping me! What next?
  • PBo
    Sorry to hear that Simon. I repaired my 3GS a year ago with a £5 job and had no problems... Maybe 4s fundamentally different some how?
  • SimonAH
    PBo wrote:
    Sorry to hear that Simon. I repaired my 3GS a year ago with a £5 job and had no problems... Maybe 4s fundamentally different some how?

No worries dude! My fault for not doing some rudimentary digging.

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    SimonAH wrote:
    PBo wrote:

No worries dude! My fault for getting an Iphone, should have stayed with the Android handset.

FTFY :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    so my youngest son dropped his i-phone 3 GS and crazed the screen. He ordered a replacement screen and I tried to fix it and ended up breaking the digitizer too :evil: . So i ordered a replacement screen and digitizer.

These arrived yesterday and i fitted them in about ten minutes and managed not to break either of them this time. However although the phone turns on and the digitizer works I'm not sure the touch screen is working as you cant slide the unlock button.

any ideas?
    FCN = 4
  • mudcow007
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    I'm not sure the touch screen is working as you cant slide the unlock button.

any ideas?

could be the digitizer isnt connected fully? its connector a few cm long that needs to "click" when you reattach it to the motherboard of the phone?

might be worth uninstalling an reinstalling

i just replaced the screen on my ipod touch 4th gen

all worked a treat except i was too heavy handed an snapped my power button control - i cant be bothered to resolder a new one i will just live with the fact i cant turn my ipod on or off now
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    cheers MC, will give it a go. I'm guessing that out of the three connections its the square one that is the digitizer as its the one attached to the screen (not my pic below)?

tn10389_iphonescreen_glassremoval.jpg

Any tips on fitting this one? It needs to slide into the connector on the base which then is secured by the small flip-up latch. However I really struggled with this as it is a flexible ribbon that bends when you try to push it (if you see what I mean) i.e. there's no resistance and so it's difficult to fully engage it.
    FCN = 4
  • mudcow007
    yep thats the fella (the one with the gold bit on the connector)

this might help you out