Wrong Trousers Grommet

mikebikemike
mikebikemike Posts: 166
edited September 2012 in Commuting general
I do a relaxed commute of maybe 3/4 miles in work clothes. And then often go on to visits clients at home or attend meetings, again cycling maybe upto 3 miles. I wear a collared shirt, leather shoes, which are fine but the suit type trousers are getting trashed. Heavy rain and I'll pull on waterproofs.
Has anyone suggestions for functional trousers to cycle in but ones that will work a fairly formal working enviroment?

Comments

• Surface, Swrve, Rapha, Howies, Muxu...there's a few out there nowadays. I have the Surface ones which have a nice stretch and light rain 'resistant', but not waterproof. They dry very fast if they do get wet though. I also have some of the Howies black slim leg 'jeans'...more like trousers really but very comfy, good stretch, really well cut (bike sympathetic) etc. Makes you look a bit hipster-ish, but the bonus is that as they are so slim you don't have to do anything with the drive side leg - they don't flap around. Also have some of the 'Epic cotton' (water resustant, fast drying) sand coloured chino style trousers from Howies, but the colour choice was a disaster! Black is so much more forgiving where oily bits are concerned.
    Swrve do lined wind & water resistant trousers in summer and winter weights. Always fancied some of those...
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Perfect work attire...

spandex.jpg
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • I disagree, that hat has to go.

( that is one excellent photo)
  • jay197
    jay197 Posts: 196
    wow Ronnie Barker has really let himself go.........:P

hmm where did I put my "porridge" videos..........
  • drlamb wrote:
    Surface, Swrve, Rapha, Howies, Muxu...there's a few out there nowadays. ...

ta. I'll do some searches with those names
  • Timberland used to do trousers made from Epic cotton which are good for cycling water resistant, waist gripper, zipped pocket. Don't seem to have them on the official website any more, but they had them in store about a month ago in the sale (£50 I think, reduced from £100) so might be worth checking instore.

Only place I can find them online is via the timberland amazon store, but just in green:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00549IJAU/r ... nkCode=asn
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Tweed suit I reckon. Suits you...
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Most of the companies seem to do cool people's jeans but it's functioning at work I'm more interested in. And as much as a tweed cycling suit or giant blue lycra shorts have their attraction I shall pass on those options.

I think the swrve midweight trousers look the best out of that lot but I rather wish they'd cut out some of the features (two pen pockets! woo hoo) and not priced them at £85. So choice of buy four pairs of cheap trousers to trash or one really nice pair.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I use some Fila cotton shorts i got from a charity shop for £4 each, comfy, light, airy and not scary when in the office - they are branded as Honda F1 team wear. 30 seconds to change into the office attire.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I use some Fila cotton shorts i got from a charity shop for £4 each, comfy, light, airy and not scary when in the office - they are branded as Honda F1 team wear. 30 seconds to change into the office attire.
    For different work that would be a good solution but it's a bit chilly for shorts this time of year and I'm not sure clients would appreciate a hairy male nurse changing his keks on their door step.
    And if they did appreciate it then it's probably not somewhere I'd want to visit.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Rohan usually do functional office style trousers (at a price).
    Buy your suits where you can get 2 or more trousers for each jacket, in the same fabric. Wool/polyester type mixes are durable and machine washable. M&S are the usual suspects for suits and trousers. I find that pleated style formal trousers ride better than plain one.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Rohan do some fairly smart travel clothing. Quality is good but not cycling specific - worth a look.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.