Roadie checklist

the playing mantis
the playing mantis Posts: 2,129
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
what are the essentials (and bare minumum) in terms of bike maintenance to take out on a 50 mile run?

thanks

Comments

• Absolute minimum:

Tube
    Tyre levers
    Multitool

That should see you through most things. Of course if you plan to have more than one puncture then a second tube or repair kit.
  • + pump
  • BobScarle wrote:
    Absolute minimum:

Tube
    Tyre levers
    Multitool

That should see you through most things. Of course if you plan to have more than one puncture then a second tube or repair kit.

and
    A pump/co2 canister
    Tyre boot (small piece of tyre incase you need to patch your tyre)
    Independent website - Rate and share your sportive experience
    http://www.sportiverater.com
  • FOOD and for bike maintenance...spare tube, levers, multitool, pump, patches, phone incase repair doesn't succeed.
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • as above tube(s) pump or Co2 + spare cartridge, one tyre lever, basic multi tool, quick link, self sticking patches. Bit of cash and a CC. Wet wipes to ensure pristine white bar tape is unsullied by chain lubed fingers. Most important, a mobile to call in the cavalry should all else fail.
  • As long as you have a spare tube (and a means of inflating it, obviously), tyre levers and a chain tool, you should be fine. That's assuming of course that you have quick release wheels as most people do; if you don't you will of course need a spanner.

I would advise that you plan around those things; buy a seat pack that fits them and then make good use of the remaining space. Eg. a brake cable takes up minimal space and - if you decide to take a multitool with wire cutters - saves you limping home with one brake should you snap a cable. A puncture repair kit (of your choice) is a good idea too, but hopefully you won't get even one puncture of course.

But there has to come a point at which you curse rotten luck and limp home. It's not as if you can keep a spare frame/fork/wheel/entire bike in your saddlebag. While out in the past I've broken a bottom bracket, a wheel, a rack, a freewheel, and I haven't moved onto frames, forks, handlebars or stems yet (thankfully!!!) :lol:
  • I like to carry a tenner and a bank card.I've done this dozens of times and never used either.

The peace of mind is nice and they don't weigh much.
  • andyeb
    andyeb Posts: 407
    I also carry a chain tool (as my current multi-tool doesn't include one) and spare "missing links".
  • Drumlin
    Drumlin Posts: 120
    andyeb wrote:
    I also carry a chain tool (as my current multi-tool doesn't include one) and spare "missing links".

I'll second that. On modern chains I only use a chain tool for removing links, eg. if one has broken. To confidently rejoin a chain I'll only ever use a missing link.
    Would welcome company for Sat rides west/south of Edinburgh, up to 3 hrs, 16mph ish. Please PM me if interested/able to help.
  • Teece
    Teece Posts: 138
    Pump
    Tubes
    Levers
    Multitool
    Food
    Water
    A to Z
    Blankets
    Radio
    First Aid Kit
    Shovel
    Crossbow to hunt food
    Plastic Bottles to store own urine
    Journal
  • I take -
    £10 + debit card
    Tube
    CO2
    Pump
    Levers
    Multi Tool
    Mobile

If I need a tyre boot then I just use the wrapper from a bar.
  • thanks for the serious responses, im talking from a 'mechanical bike maintenance' perspective, as surely everyone with a bit of common sense would take phone, money, drink...!

so seems like spare tube, pump/c02 canister, levers, and multi tool and maybe patches are the standard stuff that i need to get. any recommendations on what to carry them in and recommendations on a good multi tool, levers and pump?

ta
  • Teece wrote:
    Pump
    Tubes
    Levers
    Multitool
    Food
    Water
    A to Z
    Blankets
    Radio
    First Aid Kit
    Shovel
    Crossbow to hunt food
    Plastic Bottles to store own urine
    Journal

You need a pen.....to write in your journal obviosuly
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    saddle bag thingy that attaches to your seat is the best thing (or jersey pockets if you're tight)
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • haf1zur
    haf1zur Posts: 124
    pump
    puncture repair kit
    levers
    cash