Dig out or leave be

cookdn
cookdn Posts: 410
edited September 2012 in Commuting general
Hi Chaps

On the cycle home tonight passed a number of areas of broken glass. Avoided what I could but stopped to inspect my tyres after a particularly widespread one. Discovered something embedded in my front tyre. Not sure whether it is glass or a piece of grit. The piccys below link to full res versions.

20120919_191334.jpg 20120919_191358.jpg

The tyre is a Continental Gatorskin. Appears to be in the outer rubber only and I cycled another 10 miles home after discovering it. Should I dig it out carefully or leave alone?

Best regards
David
Boardman CX Team

Comments

• I'd dig it out. If you leave it in, it's either gong to work its way out of it own accord (so same result) or work its way in, which could be a lot worse.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154
    And if you pull it out at home and it goes flat, it's better than it falling out getting a flat while riding on that day you forget to bring your pump or spare tube. IMO anyway.
  • cookdn
    Thanks Chaps. I'll go a sort it out now.
    Boardman CX Team
  • cookdn
    Came out quite easily with a small jewelers flat bladed screwdriver. Actually was a small piece of very sharp grit rather than glass. It has left the tyre with a bit of a hole/slit. The inner tube seems to be ok as I pumped it back to 100 PSI without incident. I guess it is a case of keeping an eye on the damage to check if the hole grows? Sorry, still a bit of a newb with road bikes and tyres.

20120919_214226.jpg
    Boardman CX Team
  • Stick a dab of superglue in the hole, just to block it from a build up of sand/ grit etc, and keep an eye on it. Good luck.
  • marcruse wrote:
    Stick a dab of superglue in the hole, just to block it from a build up of sand/ grit etc, and keep an eye on it. Good luck.

+1
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Dig it out and fill it with superglue gel.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.