RS dart 3 axel to crown height reduction.

raldat
raldat Posts: 242
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have some dart 3 forks. Please don't go there...

I bought a new spring with spacers with the hope that dropping it to 80mm travel would decrease the axel to crown height. I must admit that the posts I read where not totally clear on the topic and I was sceptical having seen exploded diagrams etc.

Well I can confirm that it might drop the travel but it does not drop the axel to crown height.

My first question is, have I missed something? Is there a way to decrease the axel to crown height?

Second question is more philosophical. If this change does not drop the axel to crown height, what does it achieve? Is there any reason to have a lower travel if not to achieve a lower axel to crown height?

Please no buy a Tora or some other fork answers. I would of if I could have.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, it will drop the height. Little point in having lower travel and exposed stanchion, like you say.
  • raldat
    Thanks for the comment, but the point is it didn't drop the axel to crown height. I removed the old spacer, installed the new one and the axel to crown height (i.e. the length of the exposed stanchion) remained the same.

Have I done something wrong?
  • supersonic
    Which year dart is it? With some systems to change travel you add the spacer to the push rod - others need a new push rod. I don't think you can just change the spring, you have to do something to the push rod too.
  • raldat
    supersonic wrote:
    Which year dart is it? With some systems to change travel you add the spacer to the push rod - others need a new push rod. I don't think you can just change the spring, you have to do something to the push rod too.

Purchased in 2010 but may be a 2009 model.

I suspect you are right. People on forums etc said replace the spacer. When you check the shops, there is a replacement spring that has a 100mm and 80mm travel spacer so logic tells me this is the part.

Problem is it is not a spacer, it is a bump stop. The 80mm one is a 20mm longer bump stop. It does limit the travel, it does not reduce the height. Totally useless.

Thanks for the help, I think you have confirmed what I suspected. RS must sell the product new with shorter travel and height but do not make it available as a spare.
  • supersonic
    You can try and have a go at modifying it - if you put the stop, or a 20mm spacer of some sort under the push rod, the fork will extend 20mm less. This is how the old All Travel system worked.