Helmets

Bustacapp
Bustacapp Posts: 971
edited September 2012 in Road buying advice
Ok so now I've finally got my SPD pedals, my next essential purchase on the list will be a helmet. Can anyone offer any advice on where to buy a decent quality, yet cheap(ish) helmet from? Any particular makes/models etc? The ones I have tried in shops such as sportsdirect (muddyfox) or Halfords look, quite frankly, $hit.

Please bear in mind that I've ruled out the following:
  • non-roadbike helmet
  • peaked helmet
  • helmet that makes my head look like a hot air balloon
  • this:
    1343825448658-m2t6oy6a6cni-280-75.jpg
  • anything from Ribble

Cheers,
busta

Comments

• greentea
    greentea Posts: 180
    edited September 2012
    You should really try some on, most peoples head sizes are different and so are the helmets. What might fit you wont fit me and visa-versa.

Personally i found the Specialized helmets have been superb, great fit and dont look like a mushroom. The Echelon is a good mid-level helmet at a good price and the Propero 2 is also very good.
  • greentea wrote:
    You should really try some on, most peoples head sizes are different and so are the helmets. What might fit you wont fit me and visa-versa.

Personally i found the Specialized helmets have been superb, great fit and dont look like a mushroom. The Echelon is a good mid-level helmet at a good price.

Will take a look. Thanks.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Giro Savant usually gets a mention - so I mention it.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    To help confuse you - specialized dont fit me well. But its just a personal thing. Get to a big LBS and try them on.
    I love my Kask - but I've liked Giros in the past too.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    edited September 2012
    I had a Giro Ionos, then got a Las Squalo, half the price, twice as good. It is very comfy and light, has bug mesh, has internal padding in only three parts so easily removed for washing, and best of all, it has a comfy cover that velcros over the neck strap. I was surprised and impressed with what I thought was a cheap helmet (compared to the Giro).
  • smidsy
    He said cheepish and then people start listing £100+ lids.

For £100 I found the KASK Mojito to be the best lid (including compared to the higher priced KASK).

Bit like saddles though - you need to get the one that fits/works for you.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Las Squalo is £60ish
  • smidsy
    alfablue wrote:
    Las Squalo is £60ish

Accepted but I wasn't referring to that particular one :oops:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • +1 On the Spesh Echelon. Very decent lid for the money. Comfortable and fairly adjustable. A bit mushroomy if we're being fussy.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Probably best off trying to find an Evans or similar to start with - they normally have Giro, Bell, Specialized and one or two others. Really it's a case of visiting cycle shops and hoping they sell some different brands. It took me ages to find my ideal lid - Kask Mojito.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • eyebee
    eyebee Posts: 257
    +1 for the Kask mojito. excellent in all aspects.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,923
    Are you going to pay the extra couple of quid for quicker delivery this time??
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • ctc
    ctc Posts: 232
    Just had to buy my second helmet this year after an old guy walked out into the road in front of me this morning...
    I had the Giro Savant before which was really good. Well ventilated and fitted nicely. I would have got it again, but found somewhere doing the Giro Monza for £45, so just bought that
  • anyone got any feedback about the specialized align? (£30):

specialized-align-helmet.jpg
    http://www.evanscycles.com/product_imag ... helmet.jpg
  • Bustacapp wrote:
    anyone got any feedback about the specialized align? (£30):

specialized-align-helmet.jpg
    http://www.evanscycles.com/product_imag ... helmet.jpg

I got one of them last xmas - found them very warm indeed - not much air flow - but really comfy.

Thing about shops is they normally stock one particular brand.

You're not far from Ormskirk, have a ride to harry middletons/ Bike lounge and try some on - they have a range of giro's if i recall. Or formby cycles, they have some nice specializeds and pricey kask ones.

But for a budget that align is fine - i'm going to be using mine for the winter.

CRC I think had a sale of Kasks a few weeks back - and I have to say the difference in quality is noticeable-not only teh materials but also the fit - if you can try and try out a higher specced one and see what you think, especially if you want to avoid the mushroom look.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

• I got one of them last xmas - found them very warm indeed - not much air flow - but really comfy.

You're not far from Ormskirk, have a ride to harry middletons/ Bike lounge and try some on - they have a range of giro's if i recall. Or formby cycles, they have some nice specializeds and pricey kask ones.

But for a budget that align is fine - i'm going to be using mine for the winter.

CRC I think had a sale of Kasks a few weeks back - and I have to say the difference in quality is noticeable-not only teh materials but also the fit - if you can try and try out a higher specced one and see what you think, especially if you want to avoid the mushroom look.

As long as it's safe and does not make me look like a bell end then I'll have it at that price. BUT I might try that place in Ormskirk first.
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    Pith!! I bet Ribble are somewhat relieved. :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • another +1 for kask mojito.

all there models seem narrower than met's and giros. but the mojito seems particylarly small an comfortable. the professional kask that sky wears i found uncormfortable. so the cheaper mojito was perfect in every sense.

and certainly no mushroom/balloon head
  • smidsy
    Bustacapp wrote:

I got one of them last xmas - found them very warm indeed - not much air flow - but really comfy.

As long as it's safe and does not make me look like a bell end then I'll have it at that price. BUT I might try that place in Ormskirk first.

Priceless!!!
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    I am currently in the same predicament as the OP. I am looking for a new helmet to supplement my Giro Prolight I bought second hand off a mate as my first helmet. Its a decent helmet but build quality is frankly shoddy especially in comparison to the Italian brands. Once you pick up a Kask or MET or LAS helmet you won't want to look back!

First thing you need to decide is your budget otherwise you will look all over the show. Secondly get your head measurements. Then decide what you are looking for in a helmet.

For me I wanted a airy helmet, one that could fit my sunglasses in when I didnt want to use them and also one that looks good and does not make my head look like a mushroom. Trust me when I say wiggle must be rueing the day they decided on free delivery and returns! I have probably tried EVERY helmet on their site.

I started with a £70-80 budget and decided against a Giro as I already had one. The spec lids I just hate as they make me look like a mushroom. Just like Conty looks in his. I have tried the LAS Squalo, great looking helmet, good fit, excellent venting, excellent build quality and pads, just didnt hold my sunglasses! Return! Also tried the Lazer O2, unisize helmet and with a 54cm noggin head didnt fit properly. Return! KASK K50, amazing helmet, best fit, quality build, does not hold sunglasses and rear head cradle also interferes with sunglasses arms (Oakleys) (Kask you have to sort this out)! I then went for MET and tried the Estro, decent. bit bulky looking and the Sine Thesis top of the range lid, great looking, gel venting so not sure how that would hold up as I sweat a lot and pads soak it up but gel pads won't? Main problem biggest mushroom look of all. They make a small but no UK stockist stocks it! Return! Just had the LAS Victory which is the best of them all, low profile, looks good, sunglasses fit in the top and comes with loads of extras. Wanting to swap for another colour before I try it on. Only thing I just discovered the Bontrager Oracle which looks like the MET Sine Thesis but also comes in a small! Hallelujah! waiting for that to arrive to compare with the LAS Victory and that will be the winner. Oh and my budget has gone from £70-80 to £120 so careful!

My wife hates my cycling hobby.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875