Birthday present suggestions

veronese68
veronese68 Posts: 27,768
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
So, it's my son's 14th birthday coming up and I thought I'd buy him something cycle related and fairly cheap as it's a second present. He's recently got his old steel road bike up and running so is rather keen on it. Problem being he doesn't want to hang too much off it as he likes the minimalist look of it. I was thinking of a little seat pack for a spare tube, tool and keys. Or, a hat to wear under his helmet (on his head) for the chilly ride to school in the winter. He's not interested in cycle specific clothing (yet).
Any other suggestions?

Comments

• jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    What about some fingers mitts. I enjoy riding more in them. Cheap and useful as if he comes off he'll not mash his hands.
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Or, a hat to wear under his helmet (on his head) for the chilly ride to school in the winter. He's not interested in cycle specific clothing (yet).

How about a Buff? Perfect for under the helmet in cold weather and in cold weather generally. Plenty of designs / types too.
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • CO2 Pump or mini tool.

It's a gadget and he's a bloke/boy.
    One for the road.....
    The beer not the bike!
    FCN 11

http://app.strava.com/athletes/399251
  • +1 on the buff , neck or head and lots of choice on the colours , they used to do a triple pack as well for reasonable fundage!
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • Lights. Can't have too many IMHO and something for every budget.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    A cheap, wired cycle computer so that he can keep track of how many miles he is clocking up?
  • More pressingly, what are you getting me? It's my birthday TODAY...
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    edited September 2012
    More pressingly, what are you getting me? It's my birthday TODAY...

Old b'stard. (Happy brithday)
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Something from here? http://shop.ilsoigneur.cc/
  • veronese68
    More pressingly, what are you getting me? It's my birthday TODAY...
    I blew you a kiss. Did you catch it?
    I feel mean, here's a card:
    dm-happy-birthday-cocksucker-6000987-0-1256395754000_zps1ca11c39.jpg
  • A book on suggested Cycle Routes around your way?
  • veronese68
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I think he's going to get a buff from his sister, a seat pack with multi tool from me and a phone from the good lady.
    There's time yet, so always open to better ideas.
  • I remember my 14th birthday present vividly. A bright orange pique polo shirt from Fosters. Still didnt pull.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you want to get him a pump, at least have the good grace to let down his tyres so he can use it.
    I found that gadgets are fun for the few minutes you open them then boring as you never really get to use them. I daresay a 14 year old looks at a chain whip the say as a MAMIL.
    Why not a nice jumper or something NOT cycle related? We're going into winter......
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I think he's going to get a buff from his sister, a seat pack with multi tool from me and a phone from the good lady.

if phone is something that has GPS? how long before he starts whipping KOM's etc from you?
  • veronese68
    Veronese68 wrote:

if phone is something that has GPS? how long before he starts whipping KOM's etc from you?
    He's already put Strava on his iPod as it has GPS. He's not beaten me yet but he has beaten a friend of mine round the MTB path in Richmond Park.