Training for London 100

Philinmerthyr
Philinmerthyr Posts: 135
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
I've just been given a charity place on the London 100 ride in August next year.

This is great news as I need a challenge to help me lose weight and get fit again.

I gave ridden a bike for years but usually around 20 miles on the weekend. And lots of time when the bike stayed in the shed. This is a whole new challenge and I'll need the full 10 months to get ready.

I'm 45 and currently 22st. Knee surgery meant that I stopped exercising so I'm using this as the incentive to sort myself out.

I'd welcome your advice on the best approach to training. I own a good quality Orange mountain bike and intend to use this to train on until I loose enough weight to think about a road bike. My Aim is to look for a new bike in the spring.

I'm sure there is lots of knowledge out there that I can draw upon.

Thanks

Phil

Comments

• Hi Phil,

Can I just quickly ask what the conditions were for your charity spot? I've entered the ballot but currently also contemplating signing up for a charity spot so would be interested in their donation requirements first.

Sorry for not answering your question, but I'll certainly be reading the replies for some pearls of wisdom. Good luck with the training.
  • jecooper wrote:
    Hi Phil,

Can I just quickly ask what the conditions were for your charity spot? I've entered the ballot but currently also contemplating signing up for a charity spot so would be interested in their donation requirements first.

Sorry for not answering your question, but I'll certainly be reading the replies for some pearls of wisdom. Good luck with the training.

There is a minimum donation of £600 plus the £40 entrance fee. All of the charities are similar. My father and a work colleague are bowel cancer survivors so I'm riding for Beating Bowel Cancer. I plan to hold a few events in my rugby club and look for items to auction from some rugby contacts I have to raise money. With this approach I expect to raise well over the minimum donation.

Hopefully I can help them while giving me a focus to lose weight and get fit. I did 10 miles in the dark last night, that's the first time I've gone out in the week for years. A good start but a long way to go but I'll definitely do it. :lol:
  • I am hoping for a place in this. I have gone for Leukemia Research so fingers crossed.

Here is a link to a guide that I have been using....

http://www.action.org.uk/sites/default/files/downloads/events/generic/generic_cycling_training_guide_2.pdf

Also bear in mind that you'll need to get up Box Hill so a bit of hill training would be in order.

Best of luck to you
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • I am hoping for a place in this. I have gone for Leukemia Research so fingers crossed.

Here is a link to a guide that I have been using....

http://www.action.org.uk/sites/default/files/downloads/events/generic/generic_cycling_training_guide_2.pdf

Also bear in mind that you'll need to get up Box Hill so a bit of hill training would be in order.

Best of luck to you

I live on the edge of the Brecon Beacons so hills aren't a problem. The tour of Britain came by last week. The top if the storey arms cat 1 climb is 9 miles from my house. All uphill. Planning to build fitness on the flat for a month or so before venturing into the Beacons.

Thanks for the link. :D
  • Any more advice?
  • remember to have rest days
    ensure your kit is comfortable
    get the bike checked over and serviced to ensure you don't get caught out
    learn how to change a tube/fix a puncture by the road side
    fit lamps so you can be seen
    i presume u have a helmet?

enjoy it.

good luck, i hope to be in the london 100 too
  • nwmlarge wrote:
    remember to have rest days
    ensure your kit is comfortable
    get the bike checked over and serviced to ensure you don't get caught out
    learn how to change a tube/fix a puncture by the road side
    fit lamps so you can be seen
    i presume u have a helmet?

enjoy it.

good luck, i hope to be in the london 100 too

Thanks. Got a bike service this week. Cost me a new BB. New rechargeable lights cost £75.

No problem with with roadside fixes. Planning to ride my 5 year old Orange Crush MTB through the winter and get a road bike when I've lost some weight and overcome the winter weather. The MTB fits like a glove and will cope with the rain, snow and my 22st weight for now.

I also need to show progress and my commitment before breaking the news of a new bike to my wife. I recon that will be end Feb in the sales.

Got my confirmation letter, fundraising kit and T shirt from Beatingbowelcancer.org today so it's now real.

Done 10 miles each of last 2 nights. 20 miles planned for Saturday. Onwards and upwards.

8) :lol: