pedal spinniness?

wilshawk
wilshawk Posts: 119
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
I have two bikes, on one the pedals seem to spin readily, e.g. when Im not riding the bike and I slap the pedal with my hand, it spins wildly around about 20 times. On the other bike if I do this same test the pedal is quite stiff and only spins around about once after a hard slap.

I think I prefer the spinnier one, do you know what makes them behave differently? and what amount of spinniness do you think is better? (sorry if spinniness is not the technical term :)

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Bearings.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Try the same test without the chain, can make a big difference. To be honest, the spinniness can be a red herring as some sealed bearings don't rotate too freely under minimal load but do the business when needed. As long as the BB rotates smoothly and without any play then it should ok.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I took it that he meant the pedal itself not the actual crank.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Aha! Good point. I need to pay more attention :)
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    what pedals?

a flat pedal or a speedplay which is equally balanced either side of the spindle will spin more than a LOOK or an SPD-SL.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    stiff one sounds like its knackered
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Are they the same type of pedal ? Cos some are less spinny due to their design ? Looks vs normal pedals etc...

(TBH I dont think you'd notice any difference in the real world)
  • They are both flat pedals, the spinny one is Lyotard old style with two rows of teeth. The stiff one is Orbea Steel Cage pedal, used it for less than a year. I cant remember if it was better when it was new as I didnt test it before. Maybe Ill try some new pedals