Cat and fiddle

Sith lard
Sith lard Posts: 43
Hi there ,anyone else doing the cat and fiddle charity ride for Cystic Fibrosis riding out from Rourkies on Oct 7th?

Any decent stories, good, bad or ugly that any past participants could share with us?

Comments

• You get to eat cake with Sean Kelly. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • You dont get to be called Sith lard by sharing cake :lol:

Have heard a few pro's have done this event over the years, good to see them supporting it.

Perhaps I should lay off the cake until afterwards considering the lumps I will have to haul my but up!
  • Yep, myself and a couple of workmates are doing this.

I'm trying to lose a few pounds for the hills, I thought about taping a picture of Sean Kelly to the fridge door as inspiration but the wife would think I'm weird (well, more weird than usual) :oops:

Could be bleak out on them there 'tops
    Wind. Cold. Rain. Pick two.
  • I did this ride last year and enjoyed it so much I am doing it again this year :wink: .
    The weather last year was good but I have heard in previous years it has been horrendous and the roads turn into rivers.
    I found the hardest climbs on the way back into Stoke. Although they were short they were steep and coupled with tired legs made them tough.
    Never saw Sean Kelly or Dave Harmon, who were rumoured to be there. I like to think I left them on the hill but the reality is that they had probably gone home when I got in :cry: .

exercise.png
  • A few of us from Zappis in Oxford are going to do this. I last rode it in 2007 and loved every minute despite cramping badly and falling off just before Leek. Cat and Fiddle not that hard, Axe Edge harder if there's a headwind, hardest bits for me were the last 4 climbs to Stoke. Lovely route and lots of participents..
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Do it!
    I sort of highly recommend it as a member of the club sponsored by Brian.
    2 years ago was dire... cold.. so wet and people actually getting blown off the bike over the tops (deep section wheel owners note... leave them at home), I was soaked and shivering within the 15 minute ride to the shop before even starting that year.
    Over the A53 , I made sure I was riding solo as the gale was bad there and what the heck.. passed by a cavalcade of caravan club owners waving all about the road.
    I was also caught on Ladderedge out of Leek as the road did turn into a proverbial torrent of 'icy' water... amazingly never punctured despite all the road debris.
    So... it's gonna be gorgeous this time, official :wink:
    I am taking a few 'new riders' with me to get them thru the course, which has its sting in the tail, when you think 'it is all over'... well they have all said they want to join in at the moment.

I don't ride for time, but like to make it an experience as good as.
    (btw the shop has a new design Rourkie CatnFiddle Ride jersey in black as a memento)
  • .....I thought about taping a picture of Sean Kelly to the fridge door as inspiration but the wife would think I'm weird (well, more weird than usual)
    Try Victoria Pendleton instead. Then she'll think you're normal..... :lol::lol:
    I'm not getting old... I'm just using lower gears......
    Sirius - Steel Reynolds 631
    Cove Handjob - Steel Columbus Nivacrom
    Trek Madone - Carbon
  • Just booked. Watch out for a fat lad on an mtb with green wheels, bustin a gut up the big hill.
    Was worrying that it might be a bit more than i can manage, but being blown off for 20 quid is a bargain in my book.
  • Me and the wife did it a few years ago on our touring rigid mountain bikes with slik tyres and mudguards. We started early as we didn't want to keep everyone waiting for us to finish..!! We were passed by many racing snakes on the flat (not much of that) but overtook quite a few going up the Cat & Fiddle. Don't worry at all about your bike it'll be fine. You'll love it..!!
    I'm not getting old... I'm just using lower gears......
    Sirius - Steel Reynolds 631
    Cove Handjob - Steel Columbus Nivacrom
    Trek Madone - Carbon
  • Did this ride last year, brilliant, lots of friendly cyclists, hills and plenty of food and hospitality at Rourkies at the finish.

Good genuine bloke and a good cause! :D
  • Really clicked for the weather. Enjoyed the cat / axe edge tremendously, not so much the 3 at the end - really underestimated how much they would burn!
  • Sith lard
    Sith lard Posts: 43
    edited October 2012
    Absolutely top day. We started out from Rourkies nice and early ,cycling through the fog got a bit interesting at times but when we cycled above the fog/cloud layer part way up the cat and fiddle the whole aspect changed and we were treated by sunshine and beautiful views.setting out early meant that cars were thin on the ground until leek which was great as we could give the descents the some welly.48mph down the descent from the roaches.I have not participated in many organised events however this has been the best by a country mile. Well done CF and Rourkies for a job well done.see you next year.ps thanks for the great butties at the community hall.
  • We started off early in the cold and mist which made me question my lack of layers. By the end, in the sun, I wish I'd not got so many layers on!

Cat and Fiddle was 'enjoyable'. Very demoralising as group after group kept going passed me, but I just kept to my own pace and couldn't believe it when I turned a corner and could suddenly see the Cat and Fiddle pub (I guessed I was about 1/2 way up!).

Gutted to miss 50mph by 0.4 of a mph on one of the descents. I actually sat up at one point to check how fast I was going. Ironically this is what probably made me miss the 50 :oops:

Thanks to all the people who make this ride happen.

See you next year
    Wind. Cold. Rain. Pick two.
  • Great day, the weather turned out fine. Removed leg warmers and overshoes at the top, very unusual as I ride this route a lot and I'm normally looking for extra clothing at this point.

A well organised ride again, the last three climbs were tougher than I remember from last year. Well done to Rourkies and all the organisers involved. Enjoyed the spread and tea at the finish.

This event is one of my favourite rides of the year.
  • mark s
    mark s Posts: 14
    we went out and crossed the leek buxton road by the winking man pub.we werent waiting for cars to clear so we could cross.it was bikes,loads of them.wished we had signed up for it now.all those bikes bombing down cat tor,i thought my descent time would be beaten.i still have my 2nd hehe.
  • benjboy
    benjboy Posts: 258
    Did anybody else see/hear the N O B shouting /swearing out his car window at all the cyclist on the cat and fiddle. I shouted at him to stop and explain his action's , needless to say he did not very lucky for him...
    Keep the chain tight all the way.
  • mark s wrote:
    we went out and crossed the leek buxton road by the winking man pub.we werent waiting for cars to clear so we could cross.it was bikes,loads of them.wished we had signed up for it now.all those bikes bombing down cat tor,i thought my descent time would be beaten.i still have my 2nd hehe.

Yeah, that was an epic descent. I got 5th, along with a grillion other people :) as i explained to fellow riders, i might be slow up the hills, but i can descend pretty rapidly - those green wheels are epic fast!