Ribble Bike Builder

Flyingbogey
Flyingbogey Posts: 352
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
I've been hankering after a new bike for some now. I stumbled across the Ribble Bike Builder and was impressed with the 0% finance. I ride a lot but know little, any comments/advice gratefully received.
Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I've been hankering after a new bike for some now. I stumbled across the Ribble Bike Builder and was impressed with the 0% finance. I ride a lot but know little, any comments/advice gratefully received.
    Might need a bit more to go on.
    New commuter, new sunday best, new winter trainer. Approx budget, Shimano, SRAM, Campag etc.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Commuter, alu frame, tiagra 10sp, £791. Just wanted to know if anyone had used it or heard good/bad reports?
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • Loads of people have one of those, they're a great winter trainer/commuter. Never heard a bad word about them.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You may find the Special Edition pages do what you want for a bit less money.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i likes the ribble stealth but its carbon an will melt in the rain
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Rolf F wrote:
    You may find the Special Edition pages do what you want for a bit less money.

Yes, look at the special edition bikes, they're cheaper for the same set up than the bike builder ones...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Commuter, alu frame, tiagra 10sp, £791. Just wanted to know if anyone had used it or heard good/bad reports?

You mean the blue framed bikes? I've got one from 2010 with 9spd Tiagra and it's fine... £791 sounds like a lot though, back then it was only £560 ish... The geometry is a bit old fashioned, it doesn't have the sloping downtube geometry and shorter wheelbase of modern road bikes so feels a bit less responsive i find...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • I bought the special edition with sram apex last month. I think it was just under £700. So far so good. Apart from the gears weren't indexed correctly. Why is this always the case? It was the same with the Planet X I bought last year. These bikes are advertised as ready to ride but the gears are never set up properly.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,061
    I've not bought a bike from them but have had fun playing around with the Bike Builder creating some nicely specced imaginary machines :) . Usual comments about not being able to try before you buy apply here (unless you travel up to Ribble), but apart from that, seems to be good if you don't like 'off the peg' bikes. Planet X and Rose have similar build-it-yourself options and are also good VFM.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Allez Mark wrote:
    I bought the special edition with sram apex last month. I think it was just under £700. So far so good. Apart from the gears weren't indexed correctly. Why is this always the case? It was the same with the Planet X I bought last year. These bikes are advertised as ready to ride but the gears are never set up properly.

+1. My Stealth with Force was very poorly set-up. Gears needed completely indexing. B-Screw was the main culprit. What would take them 10 mins to do, as they do it everyday, took me about 4 hours of fettling as I had to get the Sram setup specs and measure clearances etc.

I suppose they concentrate on getting the stock out as demand is high.
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I had a Carbon Sportive from them a couple of years ago and it was absolutely perfect in terms of setup.....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bg13
    bg13 Posts: 4,598
    i have the Audax/winter trainer bike with the campag group on it, had it a couple of years now and have not had any issues with it, it is light, comfy and handles well.
    Loving life in rural SW France

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I love both my ribbles, Alu winter 7005 and carbon sportive for those rare dry days.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Thanks for the advice guys. Bye bye Olympic overtime!
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4