hollowtech ii bottom bracket

jim610
jim610 Posts: 20
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
hi a couple of months back my crank stated creaking so replaced the old worn hollowtech bottom bracket with a new one.the rear wheel was also making noises as the hub was shot which were replaced with hope hoops an all have been fine till now.
the creak has slowly come back an getting worse its only really under load ie up hills. iv stripped the bike today greased everthing an done a bolt check an found the new bottom bracket bearings to be extreamly rough.iv striped the seals degreased an packed them again they still dont feel great only covered 400-500 odd miles not that hard either.
the bike is well maintained an clean regular not with hose or jet wash an re grease whys it gone like this already are they known for not lasting long?
any better options my old crap sealed ones used to go for years it was always the arms that went?
thanks in advance for any help :)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    did you have the BB sheel faced?

no, get it done.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • no not had the bb faced just had to google it find out what it was would this mess the bearings up sorry for sounding dumb?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Very much so, if the faces aren't square the BB bearing sits at an angle to the axle and that will knacker the bearings nice and fast.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thanks il take it for a ride tomorrow see if re packing it with grease an re torqueing it sorted it.if not il get it done phoned a local bike shop they said £20 to face it didnt think of that just presumed it would be square as it threaded in smooth.thanks for the help
  • The Rookie
    The threads being good and the shell faced are totally seperate, my daughters Dirty Jo had the facing so far off it was scary. Shop around, £20 seems a bit high, though cheaper than a new BB every 500 miles!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks il phone round a couple of others see if i can get it any cheaper.
  • Out of curiouscity, why aren't shells faced before they leave the factory?
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Out of curiouscity, why aren't shells faced before they leave the factory?

Some are.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Either they figure the BB is made to acceptable tolerances, or forget that paint is lumpy.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    Out of curiouscity, why aren't shells faced before they leave the factory?

Some are.
    many are poorly.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    Cost.....if it's not having an external BB why bother, even if it is they may figure the risk of a warranty claim is low enough to not bother.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    400-500 miles sounds pretty ok to me?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • The Rookie
    The square taper on my commuter has done 2,500 miles......
  • Another facing related query.

When a bottom bracket is faced, does that mean the bottom bracket becomes marginally narrower?

The tolerance between some bikes crank arms and rear chainstays are mighty close in some instances.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • ilovedirt
    The square taper on my commuter has done 2,500 miles......
    Presumably on the road, not on wet, muddy, gritty singletrack?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • The Rookie
    edited September 2012
    If the seals work, then wet and muddy is irrelevant....but it does get coated in a salty spray pretty often (as is evidenced by the state of the exposed parts of the axle). The Powerspline on my MTB did over 1000miles before being removed and that was bought used and only replaced as I was going external bearing.

Facing the shell will of course make it narrower, probably no more than 1.5mm though, my daughters frame was so far out we didn't face it all the way back on the drive side, after removing about 1mm it was faced round about 80% of the circumference.
  • The square taper on my commuter has done 2,500 miles......

My old square tapers lasted ages as well, if fact i can't remeber having to replace one of these BB's because they were rough, the arms always fell off first.

I think square taper is a better design in many ways, I have an extranal BB now but i find the seals to be very poor.
  • cooldad
    Octolink is the best, sealed like square taper, but the splines are much better than a square.

Saying that the BB on my old Spesh is about 25 years old.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    cooldad wrote:
    Octolink is the best, sealed like square taper, but the splines are much better than a square.

Saying that the BB on my old Spesh is about 25 years old.

Octalink is crud. Bearings are too small (literally the balls) because the axle is too big for a narrow housing, so they wear out quicker than square taper. Thats why it got dropped so fast.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    Anything is better than faffing with the cotter pins I had when I was a lad (circa 10,000 BC)
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Argh cotters......lovely things.....NOT, although I did ride 5 miles home once having lost a pin and found a green stick I managed to wedge in the hole and snap off the excess (not pushing hard on the left pedal, just enough to be able to use the right one again!)...old gas pipe frame Raleigh Hustler.
  • If the seals work, then wet and muddy is irrelevant....but it does get coated in a salty spray pretty often (as is evidenced by the state of the exposed parts of the axle).
    It's more the repeated heavy impacts that kill them, not the elements they're exposed (or not) to.
  • ilovedirt
    If the seals work, then wet and muddy is irrelevant....but it does get coated in a salty spray pretty often (as is evidenced by the state of the exposed parts of the axle).
    It's more the repeated heavy impacts that kill them, not the elements they're exposed (or not) to.
    More than likely, 500 miles is quite a lot off road, I doubt many people on here ride more than 100 miles off road a month. Mine tend to last 6 months or so anyway. Not sure how many miles that equates to...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Thanks for all the help spoke to a couple of local shops which have sugested getting a hope or xt one doin alot of off road are they worth it?
    My old sealed square ones lasted year just used to do the arms starting to think there better.
  • cooldad
    I replaced Deore with an XTR (only fancy thing on my bike) and it's lasted a lot longer than the two previous ones. Twice the price or more though so....
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • +1 for the XTR BB. Rosebikes have a good deal:

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shim ... aid:274227
  • 101_North wrote:
    +1 for the XTR BB. Rosebikes have a good deal:

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shim ... aid:274227

That's a bargain considering the cheapest Deore BB's I've found are £13
  • cooldad
    Seriously cheap.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    cooldad wrote:
    Seriously cheap.

Wow that's good price! Also, the XTR is black and pimp looking...
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • ilovedirt
    wow, that's crazy cheap!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5