Rockshox shock pump issue

BikeBen
BikeBen Posts: 45
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Everyone

I've recently fitted some 2012 Rockshox Sektor RL solo air. The pressure seemed roughly right for my weight but i wanted to try running a bit more and less just to be sure. The forks came with a shock pump. When I screw in the valve of the shock pump into the valve in the fork leg it screws on then stops but at this stage the gauge still isn't showing any pressure. I then tried the pump on an inner tube and it does show pressure and seems to work OK. I did a quick Google and found someone with a similar problem on different forks suggesting the valve core has been put in too far or is too short.

Anyone had a similar experience? Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    try a different pump.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Most half-decent shock pumps have a two-stage valve (high pressure, low volume). Attach the pump then look for the thumbwheel near to the valve collar on the pump. Turn it until the pressure registers. Reverse the procedure to remove the pump.

There may also be a bleed button so you can make minor alterations to the air pressure
  • Thanks for the replies.

The logical thing would be to try another shock pump although I don't have another to try, I could pop to my LBS and ask to borrow one to try.

The pump itself seems to just have one collar that screws on, although it does have both the pump and the air release button thing.

I suppose I'm wondering if its a problem with the forks, the pump or just the random combination of both that produce this issue. Trying another pump seems the easiest thing.

Thanks again.