Omerta: Alive and Well in September 2012

timoid.
timoid. Posts: 3,133
edited September 2012 in Pro race
Thought provoking piece from Michael Ashenden:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/opi ... omerta-101

Depressing if unsurprising stuff. Hooray for the new clean cycling.
It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Makes sense.

The impression I got from the Hamilton book is that nothing has changed beyond the testers and the passport making doping a less effective since there's less they can get away with.

Doesn't mean they're clean or they want to be. They're just doing what they can get away with, which doesn't add as much value as it used to.
  • I'm resigned to it.
  • There was a particularly depressing line about cheating within new, "clean" teams.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • I assume Ashenden has informed the relevent country's Anti Doping Auhorities of his knowings?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • I assume Ashenden has informed the relevent country's Anti Doping Auhorities of his knowings?

My first reaction as soon as I read it yesterday. Otherwise its nothing more than fuelling the rampant social media rumour mill.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Ashenden always seems like he's touting for work to me.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    RichN95 wrote:

On the basis that most people reckon than a completely independent testing organisation is essential to avoid UCI interference ( and an analogous situation probably exists in many other sports), being the head of such a body sounds like a fairly plum job. I reckon Ashenden fancies his chances if this gets off the ground.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • LangerDan wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

On the basis that most people reckon than a completely independent testing organisation is essential to avoid UCI interference ( and an analogous situation probably exists in many other sports), being the head of such a body sounds like a fairly plum job. I reckon Ashenden fancies his chances if this gets off the ground.

I'm becoming less and less impressed with Ashenden.

E.g. his argument that the retested LA '99 EPO samples couldn't have been tampered with because it would be infeasibly difficult to add such small doses accurately with a pipette completely overlooked the possibility of diluting a solution of EPO first. Dilution is standard lab practice.

Occam's razor still says the samples were untampered, for other reasons, but coming out with such a crap argument dents his credibility.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format