Truth and reconciliation?

No_Ta_Doctor
No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
edited September 2012 in Pro race
Has anyone got any suggestion for how this could possibly work? A framework, a process, anything?

I quite like the idea from a philosophical perspective, it seems right, but can't for the life of me see how it could work.

Amongst the practical problems are:

How many anti-doping agencies and national federations would have to sign up for the idea for it to be plausible? I'm not sure anyone has the remit to hand down a pardon unless all the agencies agree.
How would the process deal with people who could only give evidence by incriminating themselves or others wrt the various national anti-doping laws (e.g. French law)?
Can the process be robust enough to find a fair way to deal with those that raced paniagua and were actually cheated out of both results and prize money?

Above all, what's the cut-off point? 8 years? 5 years? Yesterday?

If the process could only deal with fairly old news then is there much point in it, if people aren't going to be held responsible anyway? And if it's going to deal with up to date stuff, then is there really an incentive to come clean, to break the omerta, to incriminate others?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Has anyone got any suggestion for how this could possibly work?
    It won't work.
    There will be little truth and sod all reconcilliation.
    The dirty riders won't say anything as it's not in their interests and the clean riders won't be believed by the gossip mongers who are the only ones who want this in the first place.

Gossip and Retribution would be a better title.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Since TH's book the phrase Paniagua seems to be being used everywhere, I predict it will come up in all doping threads from now on! :) 'Clean' will do still.
  • mfin wrote:
    Since TH's book the phrase Paniagua seems to be being used everywhere, I predict it will come up in all doping threads from now on! :) 'Clean' will do still.

I did hesitate at that. Especially as it's a bastardised spelling of the Spanish "pan y agua".
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • I think its totally unworkable in sport. Truth and Reconciliation in the political context of post-apartheid SA - whole different story.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I think its totally unworkable in sport. Truth and Reconciliation in the political context of post-apartheid SA - whole different story.

Which didn't work
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • You make more than a fair point there
  • It wouldn't work.
    As already mentioned, what timeframe are we talking about and what happens when confessions attract the attention of national laws?
    Also, what about riders who have been caught & banned, fined or whatever, would they be restored to the prize lists, fines refunded?
    It may also shine light into dark corners that the UCI & other official bodies wouldn't like.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.