Winter bike coat anyone?

futuresbright
futuresbright Posts: 56
edited September 2012 in MTB general
My mates just spent quite a few pennies on a whyte 146 works and likes to keep his gear in good condition for years to come, he has just retired his marin eldridge so you see how many years he likes to keep them,

Anyhow instead of the usual lizard skin and heli tape combination he has gone for slightly more protection than usual, not seen anything like this before so i thought id post photos for discusssion........ :?

photo5.jpg
photo4.jpg
photo3.jpg
photo2.jpg

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    That's ridiculous.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • My mate. Yeah right! Weirdo
  • He's a mong.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You forgot to put dustbin bags on the wheels. Webbo
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • A very effective way of keeping water and grit where it is not wanted. Is this an insurance job in the making, or is your friend partial to father beans and Chianti?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    fine for transporting the bike but that is it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Errr, right.
  • A very effective way of keeping water and grit where it is not wanted.
    That's not even the dumbest thing about this. The bike's not going to be affected by rain, there's no need for anything like this, even at levels that would be considered "sane".
    Not only that, but just about the only thing that could do with a little help, the dropper post, is left as is :roll:

Stupid, retarded, dumb... all these words fail to convey the sheer lunacy and idiocy of this. Even spazwangle doesn't cut it.
  • Does the owner know why bike frames are painted?
  • cooldad
    To look pretty?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Thing is it looks much much shitter like that than if it was covered in dings and scrapes.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
    OH christ, more stupidity.
    OH christ, more stupidity.
    hmm?
  • Go on, why are frames painted then?
    Before you answer, consider that aluminium doesn't rust, and in the words of the big blue blob, Sonic...
    Leave it [the bike frame with missing paint] - no harm will come to the frame as alu oxidises which then protects it. If you are worried about paint flaking, cover with a sticker or taper.
    Before you answer, consider that aluminium doesn't rust, and in the words of the big blue blob, Sonic...
    Leave it [the bike frame with missing paint] - no harm will come to the frame as alu oxidises which then protects it. If you are worried about paint flaking, cover with a sticker or taper.
    When did i say anything about rust :?

I'm talking about putting paint on to make it a lot more resistant to visual scratches from grit, branches etc. You can always have a frame resprayed too whereas a raw frame can't be resurfaced.

Way to do your usual and jump to conclusions.
  • That bike coat is utter crap. As the bike moves the inside of it is just going to rub and damage everything on the bike especially as it gets wet and gritty.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
    When did i say anything about rust :?

I'm talking about putting paint on to make it a lot more resistant to visual scratches from grit, branches etc. You can always have a frame resprayed too whereas a raw frame can't be resurfaced.

Way to do your usual and jump to conclusions.
    I didn't jump to conclusions, I asked you for your reasoning.
    You're the one who made half a statement.

<mod- watch it>
  • That is ridiculous. Like to see it in a cross wind!

Re: raw frames, surely they'd be much easier to maintain - chip paint and you have to touch up and/or eventually respray. Raw frame and you can polish or buff out most scratches??

This is not entirely true. Aluminum most certainly will corrode under the right conditions. Whether your likely to encounter them regularly on a bike is another matter...
    Painting and lacquering offers obvious advantages to resisting mechanical abrasion and the knocks and dings that bikes are subject too.
    Anyway, Anodized Alu parts always look good, esp in gold...

..and that 'coat' looks horrific.
    Bird AM Zero (On Order :D )
    Canyon Nerve AM 7.0 (stolen :evil: )
    Cube Road SL
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Not only does it look horrific it will ruin the paint once it gets wet, and doesn't cover any of the bits I'd want to protect in an ideal world - dropper post, pivot bearings, drivetrain.

He's a moron.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    What a Bell end :roll:
  • Your friend has problems...serious problems.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    'friend'
  • cooldad
    Bigchris wrote:
    Your friend has problems...serious problems.
    I thought you'd like it, kind of like a tin foil hat for bikes. Stops the gubmint tracking his every move.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Surely a wind up :roll:

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Go on, why are frames painted then?

This is not entirely true. Aluminum most certainly will corrode under the right conditions.
    Rust=/=corrosion though.

And basically what njee said. It'll trap dirt and ruin the paint, and everything else that might benefit from being protected is still out in the open.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cooldad wrote:
    Bigchris wrote:
    Your friend has problems...serious problems.
    I thought you'd like it, kind of like a tin foil hat for bikes. Stops the gubmint tracking his every move.

How can you expect anyone to like that? He's brought some brand new sex on wheels..and has covered all its beautifulness up..

That's like marrying Halle berry and putting her in a Vail everytime you go out...

And that's without all the problems it could cause.
  • jndb72
    jndb72 Posts: 629
    Where are the rest of your "friends"....still on the SunShine bus???? :D
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    You can always have a frame resprayed too whereas a raw frame can't be resurfaced.

Er... You could always paint it :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • it's genius, I can go buy an Apollo flange from halfords, cover it in that and then pretend it's an s works enduro carbon. All will be fooled.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500