Just started- Sore back!

portermush118
portermush118 Posts: 40
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Evening all,

After a while of talking about it, i finally got a road bike. It's an old one (a red falcon), and it's just to start me off!

However, after riding it mostly everyday, i find myself with a sore back during the ride. Especially on long rides.
The seat is level (measured with a spirit level).
The seat is also at the correct height.

What else could it be? I'm getting a new bike in November, but want this bike to be comfortable to ride!

Many thanks, MKE

Comments

• Drumlin
    Drumlin Posts: 120
    The obvious answer is the height of the bars and the length of the stem. A rule of thumb for a relaxed position would be bars approx level with the saddle and just over an elbow to fingertip distance from the nose of the saddle.
    Would welcome company for Sat rides west/south of Edinburgh, up to 3 hrs, 16mph ish. Please PM me if interested/able to help.
  • jay197
    jay197 Posts: 196
    edited September 2012
    This might help as it discusses the issue of back position/angle etc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAl_5e7b ... re=related

You can also adjust the saddle forward so that it is a little closer to the handlebars, as mentioned on the video above, as well as lowering the height of the saddle etc.

That will also take the strain off your sore back, and even though you will nor be as flat on the bike, you will be in a more comfortable riding position.

I hope your back gets better soon in any case, and let us know if any of the tips in the video helped :)

Regards,

Jay.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    i have a 110mm 6 degree stem on my bike which i thought was too much of a reach, straining arms and shoulders. I flipped the stem over so the bars are raised and although other cyclists may scoff at me its a lot more comfortable to ride further and faster. If the seat is in correct position relative to the pedals then you dont want to move it forwards as this will impair pedaling efficiency.
  • I have found that regular stretching of the hamstrings helps over time.

A
    Alistair

Best Weather Bike - Time ZXRS
    Summer Road Bike - Pinarello FPX Dogma
    Winter Road Bike- Colnago E1
    Being Dismantled - Sintesi Blade
    Mountain Bike - Sold them all....