Can't figure out how to set up headstrap on gloworm x2

dubcat
dubcat Posts: 754
edited October 2012 in MTB general
I bought the gloworm x2 and the optional headstrap. I can not for the life of me figure out how to set up the harness! I can have a guess but I won't be sure I am doing it right. Has anyone seen instructions or a guide? Yes I am useless.
2010 Specialized Rockhopper
2012 Bianchi Infinito

Comments

• neninja
    neninja Posts: 424
    Hi Dubcat

Give me a call on 01325 316837 or email at crgmoto@gmail.com and I will happily talk you through it.

There should be two loose ends on the headstrap. The plastic plate goes at the back of the head with the longer strap going around the head through the vertical slots on the light mount then through the slot on the back plate back through the buckle. The shorter strap goes over the top of the head through the horizontal slot on the helmet mount and back through it's buckle.

There is a cable tidying clip on the side of the harness that holds the cable which then clips through the plastic plate to send the wire down to a back pack, belt or jersey pocket.

A member on MTBR has taken some decent pictures that should help make it clearer.
    http://gallery.mtbr.com/showgallery.php ... 20/cat/500
  • Send it back and buy a £30 cree of the same power.
  • neninja
    Not everyone wants a cheap light with no warranty, poor quality battery pack, hugely overstated output (often more than double the maximum possible from the emitter in a lab) and small spot beam with ringed halo so you can play follow the dot.

Some people choose a high quality, well designed light with 2 years warranty, a waterproof battery pack with Panasonic cells, choice of optics to tune the beam to suit, different operating modes, lightweight (80g lighthead inc. mount), remote switch, low profile helmet mount etc.
  • neninja wrote:
    Not everyone wants a cheap light with no warranty, poor quality battery pack, hugely overstated output (often more than double the maximum possible from the emitter in a lab) and small spot beam with ringed halo so you can play follow the dot.

^^This

Plus it is also nice to have a fire risk in the house, and those cheap lights are not very cheap when you have to double up on everything cos it's crap/faulty or just broke............my (not so) cheap light set got shifted on ebay a few weeks ago and replaced with something made properly.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    neninja wrote:

Some people choose a high quality, well designed light with 2 years warranty, a waterproof battery pack with Panasonic cells, choice of optics to tune the beam to suit, different operating modes, lightweight (80g lighthead inc. mount), remote switch, low profile helmet mount etc.
    Let me guess, you are totally independent and have no connection with the company?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dubcat
    I bought the light from him - the service is great. Fast delivery and the light is very very good quality/packaging/etc. I have 2 Cree lights from deal extreme already. I like this light a LOT. Hope it is reliable - can not comment on that yet.

Can't fault the service :) Will phone tomorrow. Thx :)
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • cooldad
    I figured - but if vendors are going to come on and push their own products, while slagging off the competition, they should at least openly declare their interest.
    If not they are being dishonest.
    Simple.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • dubcat
    I'm staying out of this but I appreciate the service...
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • cooldad
    So you get no instructions from them, and couldn't simply call and ask so have to ask on forum?
    Doesn't sound like great service to me.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • dubcat
    Yes I could have phoned them but I am travelling abroad on business and am busy all day long with customers and therefore unable to call! I thought a quick note on the forum might yield a quick result from a fellow owner. You can't blame them for my inability to do the simplest thing. Stop trying so hard mate - the service is great and that comes from an actual customer as opposed to someone who has never dealt with them.
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • cooldad
    Fair enough. No need for people to slag off the opposition though, they should stand or fall on their own merits.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • dubcat
    I do agree with you on that...
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • neninja
    I've not tried to hide my association with Gloworm lights - I saw Dubcat's question and I wanted to help him.

My response was simply to point out the differences in response to a troll post and it could hardly be described as 'slagging off the competition'. A somewhat sensitive defence of generic mass produced Chinese lights.
  • Perfectly happy with my dx lights... So much so I've got 3.

1st light is still going strong after 2/3 years.
  • neninja wrote:
    I've not tried to hide my association with Gloworm lights - I saw Dubcat's question and I wanted to help him.

My response was simply to point out the differences in response to a troll post and it could hardly be described as 'slagging off the competition'. A somewhat sensitive defence of generic mass produced Chinese lights.
    The manufacturing arm of Gloworm is based in Asia....

Sorry but pretty much all bike lights/torches are "generically mass produced" in China... Even Gloworm by the looks.
  • neninja
    Gloworm have their own small manufacturing facility in China run by one of the partners in the business (who is based there and personally monitors quality control). They are designed from scratch in New Zealand.

I personally have used DX lights and enjoyed many happy hours riding with them. Some of them are still working, others have failed.
  • file.php?id=2985
  • Dubcat wrote:
    I bought the light from him - the service is great. Fast delivery and the light is very very good quality/packaging/etc. I have 2 Cree lights from deal extreme already. I like this light a LOT. Hope it is reliable - can not comment on that yet.

Can't fault the service :) Will phone tomorrow. Thx :)

Hi,

First of all I'll fully disclose who I am - I'm the director of Gloworm Performance Products, makers of the X2.

Anyway, it has been said before that the headstrap is a wee bit difficult to decipher, so we're in the process of creating an instructional video to clarify how it works with the light head.

Additionally, we're going through a redesign process for the headstrap.

Keep an eye out on Youtube for the video, its bound to be a goody

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm NZ