I have a road bike at last!

Mikey41
Mikey41 Posts: 690
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Since I was offered a test ride by my LBS, I went back today to do just that. My target was the Giant Defy 2, they still had some 2012 bikes in stock at a bargain price.

I can't believe how comfortable it is! It's almost better than my hybrid with fat tyres :shock:

Test riding was rather fun getting re-aquainted with toe clips, the first few minutes were spent swearing at the pedals and wobbling about trying to get the other foot in :lol: but after that the bike was a revelation, it feels really quick and immediate, Tiagra gears are slick and the brakes feel good (not quite as powerful as the discs on the hybrid though).

The bike sold itself to me and I bought it as soon as I got back. If you're looking for a bike in Carlisle, pop into Palace Cycles, they were absolutely excellent!

On the ride back home I was cruising along on the 50 ring! On the hybrid I almost never go to the 48 ring as I find I can't pull the ratios in the middle of the cassette, but here I was cruising along easily in the same place! Massive difference between the bikes.

Today is a good day :D

7999473542_c5012eec7f.jpg
Untitled by Entropy1971, on Flickr
Giant Defy 2 (2012)
Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
Strava

Comments

• Beautiful bike there. Awesome colour scheme on the 2012 defy 2.
  • jay197
    jay197 Posts: 196
    Gratz on your purchase, I have ordered a new bike this week also, and can't wait to get back after 7 years :)
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Alhough judging by the height of your front door the bike is a tad big for you :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Put in 16 miles on the Giant today, I still can't believe how comfortable it is! Oh, and it's quick, I arrived at a turn at what felt like a relaxed effort and almost didn't make it :lol: I was going rather faster than I thought! I love this bike! This is a superbike compared to the moped of the hybrid, they feel that different.

The only discomfort I'm getting is that my wrists and heels of the hands are aching quite quickly. I keep switching positions, which helps, but it still aches. Once off the bike, the pain goes very quickly. I'm assuming this is because I'm supporting more weight on my wrists now and I just need to get used to this and let the wrists strengthen.

At least I hope so!
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava