Pedal Reflectors

marcruse
marcruse Posts: 64
edited September 2012 in Commuting general
What's the latest thinking on Pedal Reflectors? I fitted some SPDs to my 2 year old Scott Hybrid, which of course don't come with reflectors. I'm not that worried about visability (have a total of 4 rear, 2 front lights, plus high viz jacket, piping etc) and frankly if I get stopped by a policeman, I'd enjoy the argument. I'm more worried about the fact that CTC seem to be saying not having them could be considered contributory negligence in the event of an accident.
Anyone come across acceptable stick-ons? Anyone else bothered?

Comments

• IMO pedal reflectors are one of the top ways to be seen. Shoes with reflectors on the heel, reflective slap-bands or trouser-clips are just as good though. It's the visibility of the pedalling motion that makes you instantly recognisable as a cyclist and seeing as most cranks are similar size also helps following drivers gauge your distance. They also act like brake lights in that when you stop pedalling that can be seen too.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Yes, those Hi Viz ankle strap thingies work well. Any link on what CTC are saying?
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Thanks for those responses. Here's a link to the CTC site http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4071. My reading is that they are a legal requirement, and the suggestion is their absence could be considered contributory negligence. I can imagine a smartarse lawyer proving that despite the bike and rider looking like a Christmas tree in all other respects. I don't dispute the advantage of the up and down movement and I favour the ankle reflectors, but my point is thats not the law!
  • These will fit some SPD pedals, and I've fitted similar to my PD M324 pedals on the Pashley

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mobile/shima ... prod18548/
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've got slapbands for my ankles but they are somewhat nullified on the right hand side cause of the pannier bag but I do have the same hanging off the bag.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pedal reflectors are a legal requirement.....

That said I have put reflective strips on the rear and bottom of my cranks arms, didn'y bother with the front as it's behind the panniers (well in front of course....)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.