SPD Pedal Cleats

tackleberry
tackleberry Posts: 82
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I strongly suspect that this has been asked before but what is the difference between Shimano SM-SH51 and SM-SH52 pedal cleats? I have inherited a pair of Bikehut SPDs and am trying to figure out which cleats fit them.

Grateful for any pointers.

T

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Unless you happen to have Shimano 858 pedals (which you probably don't) then you need the SH51.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Thanks for the swift reply and good news, 'cos they're cheaper!! Result!
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Oh, that said, when you say 'Bikehut' SPDs, what do you mean? If they arent Shimano SPDs (and so not actually SPDs) then you'll need the bikehut cleats.

*EDIT: Actually, it says on Halfords site that they are SPD cleat compatible....
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Still better/cheaper to buy some 520s as they come with some sh51s for about 20 quid
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    SH51 and SH56 are the newer single/multiple release cleats.

Despite what Shimano say, I use the older SH52 and SH55 cleats with new XT and XTR pedals because I like to live life on the edge.

It's true that there is an element of insecurity with this combo but for me it means I can unclip and clip in again as if the SPDs are magnetic, and I like that.
  • .blitz wrote:
    SH51 and SH56 are the newer single/multiple release cleats.

Despite what Shimano say, I use the older SH52 and SH55 cleats with new XT and XTR pedals because I like to live life on the edge.

It's true that there is an element of insecurity with this combo but for me it means I can unclip and clip in again as if the SPDs are magnetic, and I like that.
    The mind boggles. It really does.