Rockshox Reverb air leak

slimboyjim
slimboyjim Posts: 367
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi everyone!

Did a quick search and could not find similar so apologies if I'm duplicating another post!

I have a (nearly) 2 year old Reverb and the other day it refused to return to the 'up' position when the button was depressed. There is no fluid leak from the hose (I'm on the newer tougher barb after a previous 'experience') so thought I'd check the other possibility - air pressure. When I attached my shock pump the pressure was less than 50PSI - the recommended pressure is 250PSI.

To cut a long story short I pumped it back to the recommended pressure but, upon higher pressures being reached, an air leak can clearly be heard through the upper seal (i.e. the top of the post where the inner shaft slides in).

For information the seatpost can still be moved up and down (lever required to be depressed), but you have to pull it up with your hand when raising it and the lack of air pressure means it does not always stay at full (raised) extention and sometimes drops a bit...

I've searched the internet and had no real luck finding out if there is a solution. I'm not sure if the post is still in warrantee either?

Does anyone know if this is a common problem or have they experienced similar? If so, what is the best way to get it fixed? I'm going to contact Wiggle (store I purchased it from) later and the Fishers Outdoor website has a link to contact the RS Reverb brand manager but thought I'd check on here first...

Thanks,

James

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    New seals
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ok, just an update in case anyone else suffers the same issue and searches here...

As cooldad suggests it was an air seal that went. I took the post to my LBS and they sent it to TFTuned - they have stated that the 'sealhead seal ring had popped causing the airloss reported'. They have repaired the issue within their service.

I just wanted to add that the service seems pretty comprehensive and I would highly recommend them - they have stripped, cleaned and reassembled the post, serviced the post including resealing the sealhead seal ring, serviced the damper, replaced and bled the lockout control system, fitted larger post keys to reduce play, and stuck a snazzy TFTuned sticker on it! It's probably only a 5 minute job to them but to uneducated old me that seems pretty good!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They do a thorough job.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools