Aero or lighter wheelset?

23keebee
23keebee Posts: 2
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Hi,

I've just finished my first season of triathlon and loved it!
Now I want to get myself some 'race' wheels for next season.
I mainly do sprint distance races but hope to complete a 70.3
next year.

I ride a Specialized Tarmac with a Mavic Aksium wheelset.
They are not the lightest wheels but seem strong. I'm 6'2" & 98kg
so need a strong set for training.

My question is.... Aero or lightweight for racing?!
I like the look of the Mavic Cosmic Elite and have seen
some good deals.

Anyone have some advice?!

Cheers

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Lightweight if you plan on doing a lot of climbing, aero if you plan on caning flats.

There's better than the Cosmic Elites for the money as they're not particularly aero...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • At your weight maybe aero is a safer bet. Most light wheels are built for riders under 90 Kg, even when they don't specifically say so.
    Try to keep the spoke count within reason, avoid 16-24 combinations.
    left the forum March 2023
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    A hand made wheel e.g Novatec SL hub, Mavic CXP33 rims and at your weight 32H Sapim Race spokes would probably be good. Would provide a reasonably strong wheel, not too heavy and some aero advantage. Cost around £280.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • If your a triathlete id sack off getting new wheels and get some carbon arm warmers instead.
  • At your weight maybe aero is a safer bet. Most light wheels are built for riders under 90 Kg, even when they don't specifically say so.
    Try to keep the spoke count within reason, avoid 16-24 combinations.

This. You mayt regret a very light wheelset, you won't regret an aero build from the stronger/deeper end of the market.
  • just a thought..

no experience of them but quite fancy a set for crimbo.

http://shop.kinetic-two.co.uk/kinetic-o ... k-10-p.asp

:D
  • jimbo0023 wrote:
    just a thought..

no experience of them but quite fancy a set for crimbo.

http://shop.kinetic-two.co.uk/kinetic-o ... k-10-p.asp

:D

These are exactly the type of wheels someone who weighs 16 stones should stay away from...
    left the forum March 2023
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    If you want the wheels just for racing then aero tubulars would suit. That way you'll get aero AND light for the same price. Novatec hubs, Gigantex 50mm carbon rims and Sapim Laser spokes would cost around £500 from Wheelsmith.co.uk and weigh around 1500g
  • There's a good article in the first issue of 'Cyclist' magazine on the pros and cons of wheel upgrades. As someone said earlier, the summary is light for climbing, aero for speed. But any aftermarket wheels will be an upgrade on a factory bike.
    I've just got a new set to replace the stock wheels on a carrera. Better aero and a lot lighter - the pair are lighter than just the original front wheel. just under £100 for a ~2kg weight saving. Swiss Side St Bernard if you're interested. :mrgreen: I've not got the back wheel on yet, as I didn't have cassette tool until today. Shame, because I did my first sportive at the weekend.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Grill wrote:
    Lightweight if you plan on doing a lot of climbing, aero if you plan on caning flats.

There's better than the Cosmic Elites for the money as they're not particularly aero...
    exactly - and as most triathlon courses are flatish - why would you want climbing wheels.
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    markos1963 wrote:
    If you want the wheels just for racing then aero tubulars would suit. That way you'll get aero AND light for the same price. Novatec hubs, Gigantex 50mm carbon rims and Sapim Laser spokes would cost around £500 from Wheelsmith.co.uk and weigh around 1500g

+1 Harry Rowland showed me his pair, except he built them with CX-ray spokes and are therefore around £100 more expensive (same hub/rim). Would get a pair myself if I could justify it!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    drlodge wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

+1 Harry Rowland showed me his pair, except he built them with CX-ray spokes and are therefore around £100 more expensive (same hub/rim). Would get a pair myself if I could justify it!

Yes I would have gone for CX Rays as well but budget didn't allow. I have raced and TT'd these wheels for three seasons now without any breakages, wear truing needed.