Duathlon training

gbsahne001
gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
Looking to get into Duathlon's, as I can't swim for toffee and I already run and cycle, so thought it would be a good idea to combine the two.

So, has anyone stumbled upon links to training information, or any general advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Cycle home from work, change really quickly, go out for run.

A plan that worked for Ironman. To get more specific an idea of race distance would help.

p.s. being a crap swimmer makes the cycle more fun ;)
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    iPete wrote:
    Cycle home from work, change really quickly, go out for run.

A plan that worked for Ironman. To get more specific an idea of race distance would help.

p.s. being a crap swimmer makes the cycle more fun ;)

:D did that last night.

distances are 10k run, 40k cycle, 5k run
  • iPete
    The key for that, especially with run>cycle> run is getting used to transitions. A few brick sessions leading up to an event really help. Beyond that I would just train as if I was doing individual disciplines. Keep the commute going then every week fit in a base run, intervals and a brick.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Just do lots of one followed by the other, Bricks I think they're called. The transition is what screws you up if you're not used to it.
  • iPete
    Have just realised who you are from the stats board :lol:

Fit a few bricks around the cycling then some speed sessions and you should fly. Certainly don't need to worry about getting bike miles in the legs!!
  • I did very little running before the doing a 10/22/5 duathlon two weeks ago. Just enough to accustom my legs (joints particularly) to running those distances. On the day, the only problem I had was a stitch (I know, how did I ever survive that?!)

Best advice? Just apply all of the same principles that you apply to pacing your riding, to your runs. For me, training with heart rate has been very helpful. For example, you can do a HR ramp test (on a turbo trainer / exercise bike) to find your maximum and threshold HR. Just aim to keep your efforts at or below threshold for the whole event and you should be fine, assuming you can take on water and food.

Also, experiment with what kind of food you can keep eating (and keep down) over two hours.

And remember to sprint the last couple of KM - it's a lot more fun that way!
  • I'm in the same situation but three weeks away from a 5k/12k/5k trail Duathlon. Seems like just bricks and distance running is the key here.