The kindness of strangers

dcomp
dcomp Posts: 43
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
I thought I'd share this with you because it sums up what has been an overwhelming entry into Cycling over the last 5 weeks...

A few weeks back, I posted a question, one that has been posted many times before and many times since and, amazingly, is never met with a 'not again' respons but always gets answered...

'New to cycling, which xxxxx should I buy'.

In my case, there were a few 'Xs' one of which being pedals.

A few people had suggested Keo Easy as my first foray into 'attach yourself to your bike and hope you master getting out of it before you have to stop' pedals and then NE guy, who I shall leave nameless, gave a few examples of others including thos that he chose and then dropped in that he had Keo Easy and would almost pay to have someone take the, away.

Anyway, long story short nameless forum user very kindly offered to send me the unused Easy's...initially, I thought on trial, but after a short exchange through private message, it was clear he meant on a more permanent basis and, in fact literally wanted nothing for them.

I offered money, he said no.
I offered alcohol, he doesn't drink
I offered to pay postage....nope.

A guy from a forum I've only been a member of 5 weeks made a gesture that I can't possibly thank him enough for, other than to write about it publicly and to acknowledge that the kindness of strangers is sometimes never to be underestimated.

As a new cyclist, I have valued every comment and reply that's been made on threads I've started and, with the exception of the bike itself, a purchase made prior to joining, every item I have bought since has, in some way, shape or form, been influenced by replies fom those more experienced than I.

But to my pedal donator, a gentleman I shall probably never likely meet, you know who you are. Thank you most sincerely. I have about one more week of recovery from my first 'off' injury a few weeks back and then I shall be getting back out....wearing shoes recommended on here also.

Comments

• Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    It's why I love communities like this :)
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Bravo indeed for such kind act, if only the rest of the world would follow the example set by the cycling community.
    I myself have not been in it for long but also have had acts of kindness and been welcomed in even with all the novice questions.

Long may it continue.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    and Bravo to OP for taking the time to make a public thanks
  • jonomc4 wrote:
    and Bravo to OP for taking the time to make a public thanks
    +1

We're all 1 big happy family here :):D:)
    It's been a while...
  • I really need a set of carbon wheels anyone have any unused ones lying around ;-)
    Thats pretty nice to be fair!
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Stick 'em on ebay and make a few quid. He'll never know. :wink:
  • ^^ Lol - that's why i like this website, it's mostly people like us - love cycling and don't take themselves too seriously, but also want to learn more and /or pass on advice. Round of applause for Bike Radar
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    But to my pedal donator, a gentleman I shall probably never likely meet, you know who you are. Thank you most sincerely. I have about one more week of recovery from my first 'off' injury a few weeks back and then I shall be getting back out....wearing shoes recommended on here also.

I presume the "off " was not caused by the donated pedals? :D:D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • A nice happy story. You lucky git! :lol::lol:
  • On a similar note, i have just got back from having a puncture miles away from my house. 6 cyclists went by, each and everyone offered to stop and help me!
    Bike - Scott Aspect 45
    Roadie - Trek 1.5 2013