wiggle and bikes for export

mikeouk
mikeouk Posts: 148
edited September 2012 in The cake stop
booked 3 weeks in miami over christmas, and decided I cant go for that long without a bike. looked at various options ,including taking my own bike, but in the end decided it was best just to buy a bike for use when im over there, i go at least twice a year so it will be worth the initial expense.
So ive been looking at buying over there versus buying in the uk and shipping over. Thats when I came across a bargain on wiggle which doesnt show up for uk sales.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wilier-montegrappa-sora-2013/
only shows up if you change delivery destination to USA.
Total price inc shipping is £470 :D
i wonder if the bikes are already in the usa? seems weird, although im not complaining

Comments

• mikeouk
    Hmmm,,strange, I just checked price and it's gone up £230. I'm thinking it was an incorrect price, seemed too good to be true, that's why I ordered straight away. I hope they honour the price.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    I understand that they are exporters for Boardman outside of the UK. Perhaps a bargain to be had there? Also, they don't have to honour that price. They'll find a way around it if they want.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • mikeouk
    Mouth wrote:
    I understand that they are exporters for Boardman outside of the UK. Perhaps a bargain to be had there? Also, they don't have to honour that price. They'll find a way around it if they want.

yeh I noticed they had some boardmans that only show up when you change the delivery destination.

I just read through their t&c's and it says once the customer receives a confirmation email, they have entered into a contract, so hopefully Im ok. I thought at the time it was unbelievably good value ,hence why I clicked the buy button.
  • bontie
    bontie Posts: 177
    Likely to be "cheaper" if sent to the US as the price to Wiggle will exclude VAT.
    You'll pay duties and VAT in the US though.
  • mikeouk
    bontie wrote:
    Likely to be "cheaper" if sent to the US as the price to Wiggle will exclude VAT.
    You'll pay duties and VAT in the US though.

The lack of vat doesnt account for the low price though, it was defiantly a miss priced item. Duties at other end are added by the courier company I think, but not sure how I stand with that if i decide to bring the bike back with me to the uk, I guess id just end up paying the uk vat then.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    There's lots of stuff on wiggle that shows up or disappears if I switch between Switzerland and the UK as the delivery destination. The most crazy one being bike lube can't be sent to Switzerland (probably got something with declaring the transport of oils and lubricants as 'dangerous' goods!).

As to whether you will pay UK VAT if you return with your bike, I think that will depend on whether it is 'used' which I think means it need to have been owned by you for 6 (or maybe 12) months.
  • mikeouk
    well the plot thickens on this one.
    I checked my order and it stated it had been cancelled. So i emailed and they said it was because my credit card had not authorised the payment because it was a usa delivery address , I then called my credit card and they said the payment was going through. So now wiggle say I have to reorder but they will honour the original price,,,,phewww,,,its quite obvious they have priced it too low and just cancelled the order hoping I wouldnt kick up a fuss.