Installing a Hydraulic Rear Disc to a 99'(Ish)Hoo Koo E Koo

alex1877
alex1877 Posts: 10
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

I currently have a 99' Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo in immaculate condition which I'm attempting to fit a rear Hydraulic Brake to. The frame has mounting points and I have bought a mount from A2Z Components and along with a new set of wheels and an Avid Elixir 3 I seem to have hit a wall when it comes to installing everything. I can post pictures if it helps anyone etc..

Can anyone help or have they already done something like this, all advice is welcomed.

Happy Cycling Peeps

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes pics would help or more info such as what you have bought from A2Z.

these might help

viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=1590919
    viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=12643406
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    so I have fitted a disk brake to a tassajara (02 I think)

the frame needs

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=gary+f ... 8,s:0,i:98

or 1 of these
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-disc-brake ... 2ec1b6308f
  • nicklouse
    most likely the top one as that was the most common trek family required mount to allow discs to be fitted.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • The 51mm IS disc mount became "official" in late 2000 to 2001.

Prior to that Trek (aka parent company to Fisher and Klein) had the Hayes 22mm disc mount on their frames.

From 2001, the Disco-Tech adapter was introduced.

Visit bikepedia to ID the exact model year of the frame.
  • Ok, a quick check of bikepedia confirms its a 2000 Hoo Koo E Koo, and the adapter I bought (Afer advice from another forum and possibly from A2Z Components too) was an AD-PMR which is on the following link:

http://www.a2zcomponents.com/02products ... er_05.html

Does that help until I can get some pics ?

Thanks for the quick replies peeps, I thought it might be days and weeks lol
  • And the Elixir 3 has a 160mm rotor that I want to fit
  • nicklouse
    pics are needed as it is on the cusp of what could and should be fitted.

does the AD-PMR fit the frame?
  • Forgive my terminology if it's wrong but The left hand chain stay has two mounting bolt holes right near the rear axle, the bolts are approximately 20mm(ish) apart. There also appears to be one screw mounting hole on the seat stay as well
  • nicklouse
    and the bolts are perpendicular to that axel?

276529304_96dc4e20da_z.jpg
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    edited September 2012
    If it is the Hayes 22mm disc mount located on the non driveside chainstay then the Avid Elixir caliper will not fit.

These are known to work:

1. Hayes HFX-9 caliper half with the 22mm mount (very rare, like hens' teeth!) - DOT3/4/5.1 fluid
    2. Hope Mono Mini caliper with direct IS mount (140mm rotor w/o adapter, 160mm rotor w/ adapter) - DOT4/5.1 fluid
    3. Magura Marta caliper (160mm rotor w/ adapter) - Mineral oil.

2 and 3 are known to work on a medium and larger frame.

If you could get hold of the Hayes caliper or the Hope caliper then you could mate it to the Avid lever.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention that there was also a Hope C2 (closed system) brake made with the 22mm mount.
  • That's the exact set-up just in red
  • nicklouse
    as you can see there is no room.

attachment.php?attachmentid=35476&stc=1&d=1233328753

with what you have got it aint happening.

but a half decent engineer should be able to make something if you take the bits and explain.
  • Bikaholic I think you may have just burst my bubble !! Looks like it may be back to the drawing board
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Can't you fit the standard A"Z adaptor to the plate drop out?
  • nicklouse
    seat stay gets in the way. when you add the rest of the brake. as it needs a 180mm disc.

but it cant be too hard to make up a 22mm to post adaptor.
  • There is another solution, although not as elegant and may stress the frame a tiny bit more.

I remember the guy posting the prototype mount on another forum: B&S Rear Parallel Mount Adapter.
  • cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    http://torontocycles.com/Selling/Adapters.html

Those B&S Rear Parallel Mount Adapters can have flexing issues.

It might be possible to reduce the flexing by bolting on a extra plate that wraps around the seat stays, a bit like how it's done in the following photo.

http://happymtb.org/forum/read.php/1/24095/550370#msg-550370

Another option but much more expensive: http://2btherapy.com/bikes/brake-therapy-conversion-kit
    There is cheap copies of that Brake Therapy Adapter that I've seen on ebay but I don't know how well they work.

A V-brake might be the easiest option for the back.
  • So briefly in summary, if was able to pick up one of the affore mentioned rear brake units then I would be good to go is that right ? :shock: :?
  • nicklouse
    and the right size disc.

have a look on retrobike.co.uk
  • I remember doing a couple of those too.

Very effective but not very elegant, and required modified nds hub spacers. Only recommended if you really, really wanted to add a rear disc brake to the bike.

This is the Woodman version:

woodman_disc_brake_adapter_01.jpg
    woodman_disc_brake_adapter_02.jpg

Having looked back at some of the pictures, I also remember copying the a2z plate adapter and a clamp-on adapter made from a modified BMX stem.
  • Thank you for all your help and suggestions peeps, I've spoken to a local bike shop and the guy seems to think he may be able to source a Hope rear brake that will suit, fingers crossed otherwise I could be going down the engineering route !!

Also keeping an eye out on everybodies favourite auction site for secondhand (or new) brakes.
  • Seen some of the crazy adapters and I think if it was down to that then I would end up sticking with the current V-Brake, main reason for wanting to change is to give me more control and to allow me change my back wheel.