Lightweight / all day / xc knee and elbow pads ?

elredso
elredso Posts: 94
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
As above really, looking for a decent set of knee / shin guards that are comfy / light weight enough to wear all day.

Mostly trail centres and maybe some light downhill duties.

Have been looking at 661 Veggies or EVS Glider Lite

Any other recommendations ???

Comments

• nukeproof critical armour are very comfy and tough cost about £45
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • POC Joint VPD if money is no object - not used them in anger but tried some on and they felt lovely - then I saw the price and my legs fell off so I didnt need them any more.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    Got some veggie shins and they are very comfortable. Hardly know I'm wearing them. Get sweaty underneath but you only realise when you take them off. Mainly used to protect my shins/calves from pedal strikes.

Those POCs look very nice but it would be cheaper to get reconstructive knee surgery!
  • Has anyone tried those G-Form knee/elbow pads. They look lightweight and now them come in black(if you are not a fan of the bright yellow). Think they are about £40-£45.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have got some 661 Rhythm elbow guards. There's not much to them but they fit just where your forearm scrapes along the ground on a lowside and are quite effective :)

Easy to fold up and put in the rucksack
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Has anyone tried those G-Form knee/elbow pads. They look lightweight and now them come in black(if you are not a fan of the bright yellow). Think they are about £40-£45.
    I was going to mention these, I've not tried them, but they look better than most of the other alternatives, Nukeproof/POC etc ones all look a little bulky for all day riding.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Friend of mine has the G-form knee pads. Says they are good for XC rides where you don't want lots of extra bulk but still want a bit of protection for small bumps. Tend to stay in place OK but can slip a little bit as they are just held on by elastic. Although he's never actually had to use them so no idea how much protection they offer or if they will stay in position. He did a non scientific hit his knee against a wall and they damped the impact well but how this compares to a person falling off a bike I don't know?

I have 661 Kyle Strait Knee pads. For me these are the defacto knee pads. Very comfy, stay in place and offer good protection. I have managed to use them in anger many times and although I'm speculating I believe they really lessened the blow enough for me to carry on riding. Eg bike washed out, I fell to the side and noticed there was a jagged stone digging into the side of my knee. While I was a little bit sore I think my injury would have been a lot more painful with out the pads.

I also own some POC hard shell gear this stuff is a little overkill for XC duties but I bet their soft shell stuff would be great. I find the POC stuff is better than the 661 (for both comfort and protection) gear I have but I'm not convinced the high prices are justified over the 661.

If you have the money go POC otherwise 661 seems to be a good compromise.
  • ilovedirt
    jairaj wrote:
    I have 661 Kyle Strait Knee pads. For me these are the defacto knee pads. Very comfy, stay in place and offer good protection. I have managed to use them in anger many times and although I'm speculating I believe they really lessened the blow enough for me to carry on riding. Eg bike washed out, I fell to the side and noticed there was a jagged stone digging into the side of my knee. While I was a little bit sore I think my injury would have been a lot more painful with out the pads.
    I have some 661 Kyle Straits, they're very good pads (saved my knees a lot of times), but I don't like using them for XC as they're pretty bulky and have caused some pretty uncomfortable chaffing a few times. They also have a tendency to fall down when they get waterlogged on wetter rides (which is a pretty frequent thing in North Wales). I use them for downhill though and they're great.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • I use 661 Kyles for my xc rides and they are ok - can cause a little sore at the back of one knee - not sure why but its one small place and only notice in the shower after the race as the soap hits it.

Those G Force ones do look good - forgot about them - depends where you ride - I dont think they look beafy enough for very rocky terrain. But they might be alright.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • ilovedirt
    I use 661 Kyles for my xc rides and they are ok - can cause a little sore at the back of one knee - not sure why but its one small place and only notice in the shower after the race as the soap hits it.
    Yeah I get that sometimes as well. Not all the time though.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • considering I can get both G Form for the cost of one POC, I think I will be looking into them ! Seem to get pretty good reviews, and seem to have more support that the 661 veggie range
  • £68 for the set from blackleaf :) seen lots of decent reviews so opted to give them a go as the POC were just too much
  • G Form very good, i really reccomend them. You won't be dissapointed.

I'm actually looking at some of these myself.

I've already got some proper, heavy-duty 661 pads for DH, but when I'm just out for a quick XC pootle I've not been wearing anything like that. This weekend highlighted to me that I do need to start taking better care of my knees. If I undo any of the work done in the op, it's game over.

Main question, are they for little scrapes, or do they offer a good level of impact protection?
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Its one of those magic harden on impact materials so copes very well on impacts. It'll prob manage fine on scrapes as the material is quite tough even in its soft state.

But as the pads are just held on by elastic its not as secure as the Velcro straps used by others so not sure if they will stay in place?

I'm actually looking at some of these myself.

I've already got some proper, heavy-duty 661 pads for DH, but when I'm just out for a quick XC pootle I've not been wearing anything like that. This weekend highlighted to me that I do need to start taking better care of my knees. If I undo any of the work done in the op, it's game over.

Main question, are they for little scrapes, or do they offer a good level of impact protection?
    They're good for eliminating minor pains like knocking your needs off bars, fork crowns etc during a crash, and fending off scrapes, but my god they're unassumingly good on hard rock hits. I was amazed when i didn't feel a thing landing knee first on a jagged rock at 20mph. No damage either.

I'm surprised more people don't use them but i guess they don't market to the mtb world as much as others do.
  • jairaj wrote:
    Its one of those magic harden on impact materials so copes very well on impacts. It'll prob manage fine on scrapes as the material is quite tough even in its soft state.

But as the pads are just held on by elastic its not as secure as the Velcro straps used by others so not sure if they will stay in place?
    They stay in place much better than my old velcro ones. Infact they didn't budge an inch on a 30 mile xc ride a few months ago. You really do forget they're there but feel safer at the same time.
  • Ordered some today. They sound like just the thing I've been looking for. Wish I'd seen them a couple of weeks ago, maybe I could have avoided this little lot at the weekend. :roll:

011.jpg
    009.jpg