Dinged the paint off my alu frame. What to do?

JayKay3000
JayKay3000 Posts: 163
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I'm thinking of taking my bike out for a ride tomorrow, but I dinged the frame today and knocked some of the paint off the alu frame on the downtube.

Will it corrode or become more damaged by leaving it or should I patch paint it and if I do then what should I paint it with? It's a 2012 specialized carve expert (white and black).

The bike is still under guarantee and is due to go to the lbs next week for its first free service. I guess I should let them fix it as they might have the right paint or something?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Leave it - no harm will come to the frame as alu oxidises which then protects it. If you are worried about paint flaking, cover with a sticker or taper.
  • Ok, so your comment corresponds to my Google searches so thank you!

I was worried about long term damage, but I think I won't miss that bit of paint. If the lbs dab some more on for free then bonus, else i'll keep riding. The hit was not hard enough to bend the metal so it should be structurally sound.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They aren't going to touch up your paintwork, even if they have the paint, which I doubt.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    It's a mountain bike, they get scratches and scrapes and dings and chips and stuff. I'm guessing you're new to the sport? You'll find out pretty soon that if you baby your bike too much, you won't have much fun. My bikes are my prized possessions, but they're covered in chips and scratches etc. It's annoying, but I don't worry about it. The better you get/the more you ride, the quicker you'll mess stuff up!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    JayKay3000 wrote:
    they might have the right paint or something?
    Tamiya/Humbrol paints from a model/craft shop are pretty good. Fill in the scratch/chip with paint on a small brush, let it dry for a week and t-cut it back. Apply a thin coat of laquer and t-cut again.

Might want to use some helicopter tape on vulnerable areas to protect them
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    It's a mountain bike, they get scratches and scrapes and dings and chips and stuff.
    +Potato