Hybrid advice?

Chickyhowe
Chickyhowe Posts: 6
edited September 2012 in Commuting general
I'm looking to buy a hybrid for general use to and from work/gym and getting out on my days off to improve fitness. I'm going to get it through the cycle scheme. I've been reading reviews for a few weeks now to help me decide what to get, and finally decided on a Boardman Comp from Halfords for £499.99. However, it turns out that Halfords arent part of this particular scheme (they are cycle to work scheme). Can anyone recommend a similar spec bike I the same price range. Much appreciated, thanks In advance.

Pete

Comments

• Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Some quick suggestions:

Trek
    Cannondale
    Felt

Those are if the disc brakes are a must, (and discs are really good), there's other options if you can do without the discs.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Thanks for that. I've been to have a look at a Trek 8.4 DS 2013 model today. Looks the part and the salesman did a good job selling it to me but it's 675, 175 more expensive than the boardman. Is it going to offer me much more to justify the extra cash. I've had a look online for reviews but as its fairly new there aren't many. People seem to think highly of the 7.5 Fx 2011 model. Any ideas?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Do you need the suspension fork? It is rather basic and adds at least 2lbs in weight to the front of the bike. the rest of the components are average for the money.
  • I'm not entirely sure. I'm just going on what I've been told by the sales people I've spoken to in the shops I've visited. I basically want a bike that is going to be used 95% on road and cycle paths to get to work/gym and back as fast and as comfortably as possible! Cheers
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sounds like you don't need one to be honest. This is a light, fast bike:

http://www.ashcycles.com/site/giant-esc ... 012fa08017
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Agreed, you don't need the suspension fork. Once you lose that, your choice improves massively :)
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • You only need a suspension fork for really bad off road paths and proper MTB trails.

Loose it and think if you'd not prefer drop bars to flat as you get faster and fitter.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • With that in mind can you recommend a fast/light bike I could go for in the £500/600 range. Supersonic - I can't find anyone local that stocks the giant you've recommend
  • WAJ1
    WAJ1 Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have had the Trek 7.5FX for the past 18 months and have to say its a quality hybrid, which is light and fun to ride. My longest ride on it has been about 10 miles, and it was comfortable. Got mine to get me back and to work, and short weekend rides. My only disappointment was I should have got it sooner.
  • Did you get it with the disk brakes or not?