Cobham, Surrey to City of London

canoas
canoas Posts: 307
edited September 2012 in Commuting general
moving to Cobham, Surrey. I've cycled a lot around Surrey Hills but currently live in West London. Anyone know how long a commute from Cobham to St Pauls catherdal would take! I'm an experienced club rider, anyone know the best route......

Comments

• hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    canoas wrote:
    moving to Cobham, Surrey. I've cycled a lot around Surrey Hills but currently live in West London. Anyone know how long a commute from Cobham to St Pauls catherdal would take! I'm an experienced club rider, anyone know the best route......

I used to work off chancery lane. Loved the commute. Hated the job. On a good day, on the road bike, I could do Long Ditton to High Holborn in 50 minutes. I'd allow up to 90 minutes for poor traffic, etc...

My preferred route would be cobham > esher > scilly isles roundabout > kingston > richmond park > putney bridge > chelsea > westminster > strand > embankment > st pauls.

The most direct route would be over kingston hill and along the a3 to wandsworth > battersea > vauxhall > waterloo > blackfriars bridge > st pauls. It's hardly picturesque though and the traffic gets on your nerves.
  • I come in from Walton-on-Thames to nr St Pauls and it takes about 1hr10. I think you'd be looking at 1hr 30 to Cobham.

The route I would take is:

Leigh Hill Rd
    Fairmile Lane
    A307
    to Esher, turn left and go around the back of Sandown Races to Ember Lane
    Come out at Hampton Ct
    follow Hampton St Rd to Kingston
    over Kingston Bridge, under John Lewis
    keep left and follow cycle path (under bridge) on to Skerne Rd
    Turn right at Kings Rd
    go through Kingston Gate at Richmond Park
    Turn right at roundabout and follow to Roehampton Gate
    down Priory Lane
    Turn right on to A205.
    veer left on to Lower Richmond Rd
    over Putney Bridge
    down New Kings Rd
    turn right at Edith Grove
    follow Embankment down to Blackfriars Bridge
    Queen Victoria St.

From Richmond Park at least this is the main 'rat route' for cycle commuters coming in from KT postcodes I think.
  • canoas
    I come in from Walton-on-Thames to nr St Pauls and it takes about 1hr10. I think you'd be looking at 1hr 30 to Cobham.

The route I would take is:

Leigh Hill Rd
    Fairmile Lane
    A307
    to Esher, turn left and go around the back of Sandown Races to Ember Lane
    Come out at Hampton Ct
    follow Hampton St Rd to Kingston
    over Kingston Bridge, under John Lewis
    keep left and follow cycle path (under bridge) on to Skerne Rd
    Turn right at Kings Rd
    go through Kingston Gate at Richmond Park
    Turn right at roundabout and follow to Roehampton Gate
    down Priory Lane
    Turn right on to A205.
    veer left on to Lower Richmond Rd
    over Putney Bridge
    down New Kings Rd
    turn right at Edith Grove
    follow Embankment down to Blackfriars Bridge
    Queen Victoria St.

From Richmond Park at least this is the main 'rat route' for cycle commuters coming in from KT postcodes I think.

That was basically the route I was thinking of, but not familiar with roads from Putney Bridge onwards that direction, I was thinking about 1hr 30min as well. A the moment its anything from 25-45mins for me which is 9 miles, 25-30 been in the early morning. 3 hours a day is great way to stay in shape even with bad traffic. Looking forward to living in Cobham, not far from Richmond Park and can head deeper into Surrey in weekends. Cheers.
  • loads of BR forumites head in down via Richmond Park and Embankment on their commute. There's usually a bit of friendly banter on this thread viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12575770 when you see the same faces day in day out.
  • canoas
    like that!