Iron Horse Sunday build - winter rebuild finished! 24/1/13

ilovedirt
ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
edited January 2013 in Your mountain bikes
So I spotted a cheap Sunday frame on the bay, it's one of the older ones with the 5th element shock and older linkage, and the paint is a bit tatty so I got it for a song (£300). Thought I might as well, can get rid of the 223 frame and not be too out of pocket and it'll ride a lot nicer. The person I sold the 223 frame to has just informed me that it's cracked (given them a refund), so it looks like I needed a new frame anyway!

Got the Sunday frame today and built it up, just waiting for the new cranks to arrive and fit them and it'll be ready to go. Took a quick snap of it in my bedroom earlier, I'll take a better one once it's finished.

p4pb8672320.jpg
Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5

Comments

• Niiiice

Boxxers look skinny on it though..
  • ilovedirt
    Not as skinny as they looked on the 223! lol
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • http://www.supercycles.co.uk/conspiracy/ConspiracyBikes%20Fork.htm

I think something like this is the only thing that will fill the Orange DH bikes out lol
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Would be nice in raw finish, hint :wink:
  • ilovedirt
    Lol yeah it would, that was actually the plan but getting hold of it has been a royal pain in the arse, so right now I just want to get out and ride!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • That rear shock looks a but questionable......does it have a decent range of adjustment?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • ilovedirt
    What do you mean? It's been PUSH tuned with a custom shim stack for the bike and has rebound and compression damping. I'm yet to play with it though.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • That's cool - I had an old coil spring on my Heckler that was a little like a pogo stick and none of the adjusters did jack!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • ilovedirt
    there is a piggyback in there hidden by the frame, it's no cheapy job, it's just a bit old.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt
    Got her finished on weds and finally managed to get out on her today up one of the local downhill tracks. Seems to ride really nice, especially through the corners, it feels pretty different to the orange though - not that it's a bad thing! Took a couple of photos when I got home anyway.

p4pb8693495.jpg

p4pb8693493.jpg
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Jomox
    Jomox Posts: 250
    Looks nice, thinking may get one if cheap for frame for next dh/fr bike.
  • ilovedirt
    Aye, they're really good and can be had pretty cheap now. Picked this frame up for £300.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Jomox
    Good to know, see a few go for about £400, but also looking at Turner DHR as seen a few go for around £300 .
  • ilovedirt
    Older Turner DHR frames have cracking issues, I'd stay away from them personally.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Jomox
    Alright, will keep researching.
  • nice, very nice, you've picked a good brand there, I say :)

is it possible to still get the 5th element shocks serviced these days?
  • ilovedirt
    Haha cheers - yep I think TF still do them.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt
    So I was pretty fed up with having what must have been the worlds worst Sunday.
    The frame has been stripped, bearings done, however it needs to go to pearce as there's still play in the DW link, hopefully once that's done it should be nice and tight. It's been riding like a wet noodle since I've had it.
    The brakes are basically knackered, so I've got some XTs coming for the Ragley, and the Elixirs are going on here (the sunday is a cheaper build and gets ragged about a lot more, so I want to keep the cheaper parts on this). The mech is fucked, so hopefully will be getting a new'un for christmas, and potentially chain guide. I also managed to buy a -1.5deg angleset off a mate for £15 with brand new bearings in it, oh and I've serviced the fork.

Aside from that, I was fed up of it having such a crap paint job, grey is pretty boring to start with, but it was tatty as hell (i mean REALLY tatty), so I started stripping it off the other day on a whim. Spent a few quid on some emery cloth and spent 7 or 8 hours just sanding and I've managed to get most of the big areas of paint off. I'm going to my folks house over christmas, so I'll pick up some paint stripper, and I'm also getting a dremel for christmas, so hopefully between the two and with some wire wool or wet and dry, I should be able to get all the nooks and crannies stripped and have it polished up within a few weeks, send it off to pearce and have it built back up by the end of january/middle of feb. Once that's all done, it should be riding sweet as a nut!

Here's a crappy phone photo of what I've managed so far.
    p4pb9012937.jpg

As you can see, the only bits that really need doing now are the head tube, the cast parts around the shock and just the messy little bits in the welds etc.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • I reckon you need a nice single pivot bike for low maintenance.

I hear Orange make one... :wink:

The brakes are basically knackered

are they elixirs? what's wrong with them?
  • ilovedirt
    Yeah, those oranges are alright until you crack them :lol:

They're formula megas, calipers have pretty much had it. Pistons won't fully retract. I'm putting some elixir 5's on there.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt
    So the paint is completely stripped, ended up taking a while - I used emery cloth for the big areas, paint stripper and a wire brush for the tricky areas, and a dremel with a wire brush for the realllly tricky areas. I'm going to send it off to Pearce Cycles ASAP so they can sort out the linkage, and once that's done I'm going to build it back up, albeit with a few new parts (brakes, bars, chain guide)

p4pb9086805.jpg
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt
    Got the frame back yesterday and got it all built up, took a little while as I had to get the dremel onto the cranks to get the chain guide to work, and took a while to get the brakes right (could still do with some work), but it's pretty much done.
    So I've stripped the frame (apart from a few patches, but you can't really see them) and polished it up, sent it off to pearce cycles to sort the play and credit to them, they did it on the day they got the frame! Just took a while to get posted back because of the snow.
    I've also stuck an X9 mech on there, new chain guide (e-thirteen ls-1+), new brakes (XT), new bars and grips and a -1.5deg angleset. I also destickered the rims and touched them up with permanent marker. Looks a lot better I think!

p4pb9131960.jpg

p4pb9131963.jpg

p4pb9131966.jpg

p4pb9131969.jpg

p4pb9131970.jpg

And yes I know the chain needs cleaning/lubing a little.

As for future work, the forks could really do with new seals, I'd like a new wheelset, and a new shock would be good at some point, but that will require changing/modifying the linkage, so that won't be for a while.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    liking your work

what linkage mods need to be done? I guess it has some weird special mounting for that shock?
  • ilovedirt
    The piggyback on most modern shocks basically fouls the linkage, so I'd either need to buy a newer linkage (about $40 from some american site + new bearings and hardware) or hack parts out of the current linkage.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt
    Got this out for it's first ride today down some local trails. Wasn't there for long, but I forgot how this thing just shreds corners! Felt nice for the back end to feel vaguely connected to the rear as well, haha. Been on the hardtail exclusively since november (still riding the same trails, just slower), so it felt great to be back on the Sunday! Felt like I could let it hang out a bit more without feeling too scared - so much grip!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5