Advice on appropriate messenger bags

englander
englander Posts: 232
edited September 2012 in Commuting general
Hello everyone,

On the strength of the sound advice I was offered last time asked a question on Bikeradar, I feel it necessary to ask for people's opinions on my latest quandry.

As of next Monday, I will be commuting 7 miles each way to university in London. I have a trusty old messenger bag from my school days but it's terrible to ride with because it keeps slipping around to the front and getting in the way of my leg. So, after some research I've discovered the wonders of stabilising straps which hold the bag in place. I found a fairly good example of the type of thing I'm looking for on Wiggle.

The reviews certainly look good - are there any other bags around that price point (or cheaper - I'm a poor student :/) that are worth considering? The bag I linked is, if anything, a tiny bit larger than I require. I need to carry the odd A4 folder, papers, 15.6" laptop (dedicated pouch not an issue) and a D lock.

I tried searching on Amazon but I'm struggling to find any.

In short: cheap messenger bags with stabilising strap, suggestions?
Specialized Allez 2010
Strava

Comments

• Hi I just wanted to say that I think the one you found on Wiggle is a good choice. Not sure if you possibly want to consider a rucksack as your commute is rather long? You're certainly to be congratulated for your dedication to university! I got a messenger bag (ages ago) from http://www.chapmanbags.com. I realise its not exactly within a student budget but mine is waterproof and still looks new, I'd recommend one of these to anyone. Good luck!
  • I've been scouring online shops and searching the forums since I posted this thread and I must say I do think I've found what is probably the best in that price category. Did a test ride to uni today and it came in a just over 6 miles and my (moving) time was 24 minutes. It's pretty much the same time as the Tube would take - certainly not longer - and a lot healthier too (until I get hit by a bus).

I have a backpack that I always take on recreational rides, but I don't want to be arriving to lectures with an enormous sweat patch and, all in all, for the type of things I'm carrying, a messenger bag is more convenient once I'm off the bike.
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • Why don't you fit a rack and use a pannier. It'll be much more comfortable.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Planet X were selling them for £4 a while back, I got one - looks alright, haven't used it yet. However I agree that a rucksack or panniers might be a better choice in this case.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    passout wrote:
    However I agree that a rucksack or panniers might be a better choice in this case.

Rucksacks are rubbish for cycling, as the OP says you just end up with a sweaty back. Messenger bag with stabiliser strap every time.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • t4tomo wrote:
    passout wrote:
    However I agree that a rucksack or panniers might be a better choice in this case.

Rucksacks are rubbish for cycling, as the OP says you just end up with a sweaty back. Messenger bag with stabiliser strap every time.

^ What this guy said.

Panniers I agree would actually be a good alternative, but stylistically I'm going to have to go with messenger bag.
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Started commuting with a rucksack, then switched to messenger. Messenger is vastly better - less sweat, more volume, easier access, more versatile shape, etc, etc. Just make sure you get one that's waterproof - not sure whether the one you've identified is or not. I use a North Face one, the cover flap of which is their usual waterproof tarpaulin material, which has stood up to a year of commuting in all weathers and a couple of visits to the tarmac with no problems at all. It's more expensive than the DHB one, but might be worth it if you can stretch.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/the-north-face- ... enger-bag/
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Took delivery of the bag I linked to in the original post and rode around for a few miles with it today. I'm suitably impressed! The reviews claim it is good and waterproof, and it's a good size for my requirements. On first impressions I would recommend it for people looking for bags on the cheap.
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava