Which Hydraulic brakes

specialized428
specialized428 Posts: 4
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi There
I am looking to change the brakes on my xc/trail bike, I have narrowed it down to either avid xo, hope tech evo x2 or hope race evo x2. I do alot of XC riding with some long steep descents I am around 85kg has anyone got any of these brakes or what do you recommend ?

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Shimano
  • Which shimano brakes would you go for?
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Whichever fits your budget.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    styxd wrote:
    Shimano

+1.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What are you changing from and why?
  • Hi I am changing from tektro they need bleeding constantly and tend to start fading after a long run also they are spongy.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    if you are after a light weight brake that still performs well, take a look at the Magura MT2:

http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_ ... s_id=10262
  • I borrowed a bike with Avid XO brakes on it - it was a rental with potentially questionable set up but they squeeled, juddered and the lever felt plasticky and a bit feeble to me. I have some Juicy 4's (3's made for Specialized) on my Big Hit and prefer them. I have Deore on my xc bike and like them too.

For choice I'd get XT.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • dry664
    dry664 Posts: 155
    Hmmm.....are they Tektro Draco's, if so they only work if the rider weighs less than 3 stone.

+1 Shimano, I've got M675 SLX's and it amazing how much faster you can go when you know you can stop
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I've just got rid of my Juicy 3s and put Deores on my hardtail. In terms of performance the Deores feel a bit more powerful, but they just work. The Avids were just hassle.

I've got MT2/4 on my FS and they are great, super powerful and feel great.
  • i had tektro's they were shocking. They only really work if you cycling on the flat. But the minute i went to a trail centre, and went downhill, they were useless. one minute they worked, they next, i had no brakes at all!

I bought a pair of avid elixir brakes for about £80 all in second hand, fitted them and they been great. Powerful, but consistant, always therte when i need them. There are much better brakes out there than the avid's but in comparison to the tektro's they will be more than enough.
  • hobbo31
    hobbo31 Posts: 107
    Just uprated my brakes on my 29er to Shimano XTR the performance is spot on, run Hope M4's on my Trance X and the feel is the same if not better, had the same problem as you when looking after reading reports the XT' s are just as good and cheaper
    Giant Trance X1 2008
    Gary Fisher Cobia 29er 2010
    Ribble Road Bike
    Giant XTC Composite 29er 2012
    Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0 2015