Online bike stores

raldat
raldat Posts: 242
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
So the race is on. Today I ordered parts from 3 stores for a little project I am working on.

Cyklegear.dk (I live in Denmark). 10 items ordered. Despatched within 4 hours of order.
Bike-discount.de 1 item ordered. Despatched within 5 hours of order
Chain reaction. 5 items ordered. Status "processing"

I like CRC. Can they catch up?

I will report delivery times.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yay?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ali4390
    ali4390 Posts: 106
    I ordered something from Superstar last Wednesday in the hope it would be with me by the weekend - order is still processing. The item best be good...
  • That's not like Superstar, unless it's a set of custom wheels of course.
  • ali4390
    ali4390 Posts: 106
    That's not like Superstar, unless it's a set of custom wheels of course.
    How did you guess. However, it is the Stan's deal that states will be dispatched on the same day as the order and to be fair the first pair I ordered were dispatched and delivered promptly - just a shame they were the wrong ones (due to a mistake by me rather than SS).
  • The Haribo is a nice touch though. Ordered a set of pedals and multi tool on a weekend and they arrived on the Tuesday, first time order so was suprised by the Haribo.
  • raldat
    So I know that 99.9% of readers do not live on Denmark so probably not relevant but package from cyegear.dk just delivered. 27 hours after ordered. Just awesome.

Bike-discount.de package is in transit.

CRC? Still processing. Lift your game guys.
  • I ordered from CRC on Friday and had confirmation of dispatch at 07.04 on Monday - 2 hours later the package arrived so I'd say their updates are running late.
  • raldat
    Yeah, cant say I am upset with them yet, it is only a comparative thing. They have always had reasonable delivery times in the past and I expect it to be ok this time. It is just others are better.
  • raldat
    Oops, must give credit where due, order status just changed to despatched.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    raldat wrote:
    Yeah, cant say I am upset with them yet, it is only a comparative thing. They have always had reasonable delivery times in the past and I expect it to be ok this time. It is just others are better.
    you do realise that there's quite a large body of water between yourself and CRC, so there's a little bit more to the postal side of it than just popping the items in the back of a van and driving it to you
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • CRC got stuff out to me in Canada in 7 days. Not bad for that distance (and the slow as FARK Canadian Post service).
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • raldat
    chez_m356 wrote:
    raldat wrote:
    you do realise that there's quite a large body of water between yourself and CRC, so there's a little bit more to the postal side of it than just popping the items in the back of a van and driving it to you

Holy crap, really? I wondered what that was:)

But seriously, the Danish one is located at the other end of the country and there is a lot of water between Germany and the part of Denmark I live in as well.

My early comments related to time to despatch more than delivery time. The German and Danish stores despatched on the day of order, CRC a day later.

Like I said before, CRC performance was not bad, just others did better. I posted this not to lambast CRC, I like them and will buy from them again. It was just a unique chance to compare stores since I ordered from three stores within minutes of each other.
  • CRC got stuff out to me in Canada in 7 days. Not bad for that distance (and the slow as FARK Canadian Post service).

That's fast! CRC are normally bang on 6 days to France - from when I order to when I receive the package
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • raldat
    So CRC let me down. Other two managed to deliver quickly. CRC even put the wheel in a separate package and delivered it yesterday. Critical parts for the project not arrived so no work this weekend.

CRC will have to be very very cheap to get my order next time. I could have ordered elsewhere with free shipping (and fast delivery) much cheaper than I could have at CRC plus their express shipping fees.

Like I said before, assuming they delivery Monday they are still withing their terms of service, but others are much faster.

Dant flame me for 'whinging', just letting people know my experience so they can make their decisions. I really would have thought than an order on Monday (early) would have been received by Friday. It would have been if CRC could despatch in day of order like the others did.
  • cooldad
    Yay. As I said before.
    I blame Wiggle.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    raldat wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:
    raldat wrote:

Holy crap, really? I wondered what that was:)

But seriously, the Danish one is located at the other end of the country and there is a lot of water between Germany and the part of Denmark I live in as well.
    but it can still travel overland to you from germany, and regards CRC, aren't they supposedly the biggest online bike store in the world, so i imagine that there is a good chance that they are also the busiest, they probably get more orders in a day than the other stores you used get in a week, did you really expect them to drop all there other orders to concentrate solely on yours ? :)
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • I think if you wanted your critical parts then you should have ordered them earlier!
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • cooldad
    raldat wrote:
    I could have ordered elsewhere with free shipping (and fast delivery) much cheaper than I could have at CRC plus their express shipping fees.
    Could this be Fully Sprung's Nordic cousin?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • MDobs
    MDobs Posts: 167
    raldat wrote:
    I could have ordered elsewhere with free shipping (and fast delivery) much cheaper than I could have at CRC plus their express shipping fees.

this begs the question... then why didn't you?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So one order is statistically relevant? Never had an issue with CRC.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • raldat
    Just giving my experience people. I thought that the biggest and best store is slower than competitors (at least on this occasion) might be of interest.

I don't normally make purchases from 3 stores at the exact same (well withing 15 min of each other) time, so I thought it worth sharing.

In future I will shut up and lurk for the info I need rather than contributing.
  • I don't think anybody would suggest you shut up, free speech and all that.

However this topic, along with other individual moans about a particular supplier are something I just don't see the point of. For every bad experience there is generally someone with a positive experience.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco