New Strava titles - are you a CHOM?

Wrath Rob
Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
http://pvcycling.wordpress.com/2012/09/ ... announced/

Read down to the comments too. My favourite for a few I've seen on the roads is AOM ;)
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Comments

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    http://pvcycling.wordpress.com/2012/09/13/new-strava-algorithms-announced/

Read down to the comments too. My favourite for a few I've seen on the roads is AOM ;)

I know it's supposed to be funny but it wasn't very good. Also reinforces the opinion that some club cyclists take themselves too seriously..
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    My favourite reply is tihs:
    Did anyone bother to read the Strava Blog? This shit is fake, it even sounds fake. Stop being so gullible.
    With the official reply of:
    Wow, you are so clever. Really? You mean some of the things on a PARODY F@CKING WEBSITE aren’t true? Who knew?
    I bet some of the mods around here wish they could reply what they are really thinking.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    "Problems also arise when KOM holders interact with other actual cyclists and get their shit handed to them on a plate"

LOL
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    never been able to get my strava on my phone to connect to a gps... oh how I miss out on these things :(
  • He's an odd guy, that blogger.
  • jds_1981 wrote:
    Also reinforces the opinion that some club cyclists take themselves too seriously..

Paging many from the SCR thread!
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    I don't think anyone really cares that much do they? Afterall the majority of the scr segments are plagued by error and dangerous too...

Still, it has it's purposes, it is a good way of tracking efforts on proper sections, and it's got most of the functionality of connect with a better interface.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • No, I agree with you. But it's a forum and inevitably people forget that with a lack of intonation, punctuation or expression simple cheeky statements can make you seem an arse.
  • okgo
    That's half the fun isn't it? That's why I make such comments. To wind up the slow people - see? ;)
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • okgo wrote:
    That's half the fun isn't it? That's why I make such comments. To wind up the slow people - see? ;)

Ahhhh. Yeah I see.

PS when are we having that handicap race?
  • okgo wrote:

isn't that what they call a
    then there is the DOM (douchebag of the mountains), who, while legitimately fast, is so boastful and audacious that he/she annoys the fuck out of all his/her riding buddies, thereby alienating them for life.

anyway, Cyclingprop isn't slow. he overtook NSB once.

*hides*
  • bigmat
    okgo wrote:

When you say "slow" people, what context are we talking?!

• anyway, Cyclingprop isn't slow. he overtook NSB once.

*hides*

When are we going to move past power meters and start seeing momentum-meters, thats what I want to know.
  • okgo
    BigMat wrote:
    okgo wrote:

Ha, I think I'd class fast as under 53 for 3 laps. 21/22 min 10 mile types.

Cyclingprop, I don't think it needs to be a handicap race, back when the bravado was at its peak there was talk of everyone entering a Richmond Park TT, but only Matt did, I think that was the time to answer the jibes :)

Clarkey - yeh sounds about right in the company of SCR, but my actual riding buddies are perfectly quick enough.
  • okgo wrote:
    back when the bravado was at its peak there was talk of everyone entering a Richmond Park TT, but only Matt did, I think that was the time to answer the jibes :)

Yeah, wrong side of town though innit ;)
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    PS when are we having that handicap race?
    I think you need to find some common ground. You can chop one leg off and Okgo can carry it in a backpack, then you'll both be around the 90Kg mark and it'll be a fair race.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • okgo
    I think its pretty difficult to compare people when one weighs a 3rd more than the other. I think a lap of the park is flat enough that if you have the fitness/power you'll not lose out anything to someone lighter. Afterall the benefit of being bigger in theory is that you produce more power than a small person? The issue probably is that you carry a lot of useless bulk (for cycling) which hinders your aerobic performance. I used to be nearly 100kg, and its not something that tends to work that well in most cases as the weight is useless.
  • okgo wrote:
    I think its pretty difficult to compare people when one weighs a 3rd more than the other. I think a lap of the park is flat enough that if you have the fitness/power you'll not lose out anything to someone lighter. Afterall the benefit of being bigger in theory is that you produce more power than a small person? The issue probably is that you carry a lot of useless bulk (for cycling) which hinders your aerobic performance. I used to be nearly 100kg, and its not something that tends to work that well in most cases as the weight is useless.

Tis very difficult to compare. The thing with power and bulk is that while pace/acceleration may be fine, its the endurance that suffers. Your theory is probably not that far out on the assumption that the additional weight is leg muscle (it isn't, surprise!).

I suppose the only "true" comparison would be on a turbo somewhere, which would take weight out of it.
  • okgo
    And even if it were leg muscle, its not leg muscle that makes a decent cyclist. The only reason those track boys have thighs like they do is to get the bike moving from a standstill really.

I used to squat a decent amount, 180kg or so, dead around the same, now I probably would struggle with 100kg but I bet I make more power for longer as a cyclist. Strange one, but you'd find I think that if you're anything like me (plenty of fast twitch, but not too bad over a longer duration either) that you'd benefit from being a big bloke becoming a small bloke. I've lost most of my bulk now, but still have a lot of power in the legs and I think that doing the weights etc probably helped shape the muscle to its new task.

Obviously it would be easier for you to get a powermeter and then measure w/kg, that is the true test.
  • bigmat
    you guys need one of those glorified exercise bike races - one of the Watt Bike ones, or Rollapaluza or something. Anything like that coming up?
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    SCRollapaluza. Now that does sound fun.
  • okgo wrote:
    And even if it were leg muscle, its not leg muscle that makes a decent cyclist. The only reason those track boys have thighs like they do is to get the bike moving from a standstill really.

I used to squat a decent amount, 180kg or so, dead around the same, now I probably would struggle with 100kg but I bet I make more power for longer as a cyclist. Strange one, but you'd find I think that if you're anything like me (plenty of fast twitch, but not too bad over a longer duration either) that you'd benefit from being a big bloke becoming a small bloke. I've lost most of my bulk now, but still have a lot of power in the legs and I think that doing the weights etc probably helped shape the muscle to its new task.

Obviously it would be easier for you to get a powermeter and then measure w/kg, that is the true test.

All I know is that last time I was in a sports science lab (studied at Loughborough so occasionally took part in studies), I was the anomaly in a muscle study. And yes, if I shifted even 20KG, I'd be way better over a longer distance.
  • BigMat wrote:
    okgo wrote:

If you had to ask you're probably the latter. ;)
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.