Stem, Bars, Cranks, Pedals

delete_my_account
delete_my_account Posts: 192
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Looking for some recommendations on some new parts for my bicycle.

Carbon stem - happy to spend £30 used
Carbon bars - I'd spend £40 used
Chainset/cranks - £80 used including chainrings
Flat pedals - £30 used

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
Delete my fucking account.

Comments

• Team515
    Team515 Posts: 141
    for the pedals get wellgo mg1 new theyre only about £34 on ebay
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Stem, carbon is fine, but TBH alloy is just as good.
    Bars, anything by Easton will be awesome.
    Chainset, you should be able to find some HTII XTs for that money.
    Flat pedals. for £43 you can get new superstar nanos, which are about the best you can buy anyway. So try and save on the other bits would be my recommendation there.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You don't say what your bike is, what sort of riding you're doing etc. I'd not buy second hand carbon bars (or any material actually) myself. YMMV.

Carbon stems are pointless, very rarely any lighter than a decent aluminium one, as unless you spend silly money they're just a carbon wrap on an alu stem anyway.

Carbon bars - Mt Zoom are good, well priced, slightly over budget. Exotic are well reputed.

Chainset - SLX used

Pedals - Superstar Nanos seem to get good reviews.
  • They'll be for a 456 Carbon which is an AM bike which I use for XC.

What aluminium stem would you recommend then?
    I was thinking either SLX or XT for the chainset.
    I was also thinking Superstar Nanos for the pedals but would you say they're worth the money from new?
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    They'll be for a 456 Carbon which is an AM bike which I use for XC.

What aluminium stem would you recommend then?
    I was thinking either SLX or XT for the chainset.
    I was also thinking Superstar Nanos for the pedals but would you say they're worth the money from new?

Any alu stem in the right size, and price, will be pretty much the same: Superstar, Exotic, etc.
    You'll get new SLX for about £80 from some of the German retailers. I'd probably got with that for the sake of new BB and rings.
    Superstar pedals are rebranded HT pedals, which sell under other brands for up to £80, so £43 is good. £34 is better though: Exotic do exactly the same pedal cheaper, but only in black.
  • You'll get new SLX for about £80 from some of the German retailers. I'd probably got with that for the sake of new BB and rings.

Could someone give me a link please?
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    10 speed one here - probably can find 9 speed ones too. http://www.roseversand.com/article/shim ... aid:443876
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    On mine (XC)
    Bikehut Carbon (wrap) bars - very light (167g) £10
    Deore HTII Crankset complete £10
    Superstar stem - fairly light (130g for 31.8x80mm) £7
    All bought used
    Pedals are Ritchey SPD's, lighter and 'nicer' than the Shimano M520's I was on, £13 off ebay as old stock.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Bars, Easton Haven bars (alu ones, not carbon) can be had new from Merlin for £36
    http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/m ... offer.html

Or for £42 you could have some KCNC bone Scandium bars. http://www.readytoridecycles.co.uk/kcnc ... -345-p.asp

You'll struggle to find lighter bars, unless you're spending a LOT more money. And as above, I'd not be buying 2nd hand carbon bars, you'll not be able to see if some ape has damaged them.

Stem - Again, I'd avoid carbon full-stop. Pointless on a stem. Not sure what length you want, but Exotic will most likely have something that ticks the boxes being strong, light and cheap.

Chainset - As above, SLX if you can. If not, go for a new Deore one. £60 from Merlin again, http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/m ... inset.html

Pedals - Wellgo MG1s or Superstar Nanos in the colour of your choice.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    actionsports.de have SLX for €99, so if you can find a bar and stem there it'll offset the shipping costs too. 9 or 10spd crankset makes no difference.