Fox shock RP2 basic service question

dodgyknees
dodgyknees Posts: 148
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, planning to do a basic air seal service on my Fox RP2 shock.

Removing the shock from the bike appears straighforward enough but how do I remove the lower mount hardware from the eyelet in order to slide off the airsleeve body?

I don't have a bench vice. I have ordered a bush removal tool but not sure if this is what I need to use just to remove the mount from the eyelet.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bush removal tool is only needed if you are replaceing the bushes.

the reducers just pull out.

vice. mole grips or if worn pliers often work. Piles does not mean they are worn but the easier they come out the more worn they could be.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks nicklouse.

If the reducer does come out easily suggesting wear, does that mean the bushes should be changed?
  • nicklouse
    if they are worn. IE if there is play when new reducers are fitted.

do you have any play in the shock now? if no then dont worry.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Sorry for the basic questions but assume I can refit the same reducer once removed, assuming I don't damage it taking it out?
  • nicklouse
    very hard to damage them.

also one of these can be used to remove them

Ceka6pcStudExtractor-medium.jpg

not that i have ever used one for that though.
  • Cheers.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    If you do somehow manage to butcher the reducers they arent expensive to replace. You can get a pair plus a new bush for about £15. I have always managed to get them out by squirting with some releasing oil then using a pair of molegrips with some tape on the jaws to stop them marking the ally, just twist backwards and forwards a few times and they usually work themselves out with no pulling.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Thanks guys, much appreciated.