Mark Scanlon

emadden
emadden Posts: 2,431
edited September 2012 in Pro race
Listening to one of the recent David Walsh interviews, he mentioned Mark Scanlon who back in 1998 was touted as the next big rider to come out of Ireland. Walsh mentioned that he symbolised a new hope for the future, a young promising rider, riding clean. In 1998 Scanlon won the Junior World Champs on his 18th birthday and subsequently turned pro. Pozzato was the bronze medallist at the time.

I remember that Scanlon was quite unlucky with injury and after a number of years quit the pro scene. The reason that was often circulated was that he was home sick and/or he was dissillusioned with the racing demands of the pro peloton (i.e. number of days)... I remember Sean Kelly during his commentry would frequently say that Mark was finding it hard to live on the continent etc.

In light of all that has gone on and emerged, Im really wondering if Scanlon was another Bassons... He resolutely refused to dope and hence found he could not compete, and was probably shunned by team mates. In light of the backlash against Kimmage and others who "spat in the soup", he probably decided to move on and concoct the "home sick" excuse. Do you guys agree with this?

On a separate point, Im trying to remember the recent book where it was explained that refusing doping could, in an ironic twist, actually harm a rider. Non-doped riders would have to over-exert in order to keep up with the dopers. Hence, some doctors acquiesced in the doping so as to preserve the health of riders. Anyone remember what book that was in?
www.dotcycling.com

Comments

• dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    To cover your last point, it's called passive doping and it's in From Lance to Landis (Walsh)
  • I think it's impossible to answer the first part without having some input from Scanlon himself.

There are lots of reasons why most people don't make it as pro cyclists, not wanting to dope is just one of them.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    There are lots of reasons why most people don't make it as pro cyclists, not wanting to dope is just one of them.
    It's certainly the reason I've never made it. A liking for beer and pies, not being much good at cycling, never racing, and not starting to cycle regularly until I was 25 are all secondary issues to my refusal to give into the bastards who would have made me dope! :mrgreen:
  • Graeme_S wrote:
    It's certainly the reason I've never made it. A liking for beer and pies, not being much good at cycling, never racing, and not starting to cycle regularly until I was 25 are all secondary issues to my refusal to give into the bastards who would have made me dope! :mrgreen:

A man of strong integrity, clearly :D
  • Doping certainly held my cycling career back when I was young. Could hardly get off the sofa, let alone ride a bike.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Humans mature physiologically at different stages. A junior with the power of a continental rider would be very good but if he has peaked well that's as far as it goes.
  • By sheer coincidence, INRNG's latest post mentions Scanlon in the context of past junior world road champs, and in the comments provides a link to an interview with Scanlon re why he left the Pro Tour..

http://web.archive.org/web/200710090503 ... bune/Sport
  • Scanlon was an extremely talented rider... physically. I believe he lacked the 'nouse' to climb the pro ranks... happens sometimes. I've seen immensely strong ams turn pro and not cut it due to lack of a 'race-head'. How do you get it? By racing! Catch-22...
  • Esafosfina, how was last week? :)
  • Esafosfina, how was last week? :)

Heya RR! Brilliant mate! Had a ball! Although I'll be the first to admit that as a rider you have no idea how hard the mechanics and soigneurs work behind the scenes! I have a new found respect for the staff; so, sorry to all my mechanics, soigneurs, and DSs that I've criticised unfairly in the past! :oops:
  • esafosfina wrote:
    Esafosfina, how was last week? :)

Heya RR! Brilliant mate! Had a ball! Although I'll be the first to admit that as a rider you have no idea how hard the mechanics and soigneurs work behind the scenes! I have a new found respect for the staff; so, sorry to all my mechanics, soigneurs, and DSs that I've criticised unfairly in the past! :oops:

Bet you never thought you'd see those kinds of crowds here when you were riding, eh? In the car, what was the most memorable (non-stressful!) section ? the crowds on the top of the Devon climbs looked absolutely immensen the TV
  • It was amazing! The crowds, even on some of the exposed moors and hills, were ten-deep at times! Always hoped for those numbers years ago, so it was fantastic to see so many supporting the sport we all love. The Barnstaple/Dartmouth stage was packed! Although I hit a bloody stone wall avoiding a kid who'd run out to grab a bidon! No brainer really: scratch team car or hit child...
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    esafosfina wrote:
    No brainer really: scratch team car or hit child...

So when's the kid due out of hospital?
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    esafosfina wrote:
    No brainer really: scratch team car or hit child...

So when's the kid due out of hospital?

When they've removed the aforementioned bidon from his nether-regions!
  • “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!