Picked up my first road bike yesterday

billymcq2
billymcq2 Posts: 7
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Got a Triban 3 from Decathlon via the cyclescheme. Been a MTB rider on and off since I was about 16 (20 yrs ago) so wanted to start with something cheap but decent enough to keep me interested.

Came back from a ride yesterday morning to find my certificate had came in the post, so went up to Decathlon and managed to get lucky as they only had 2x57cm bikes left.

Was itching to try it out today, but weather wasn't ideal early on and the wife had me helping out with the cleaning, so I waited on a dry spell after lunch and headed out.

Got a mile down the road and it started pi$$ing it down, was tempted to turn round but I was determined to give the bike a wee run, so I compromised and stuck to a 5 mile circuit. Got home absolutely soaked, but had a big grin on my face at the same time.

Cant wait to get out properly, got a 20 mile route planned for the first dry night this week.

Had a couple of dodgy moments pulling away from lights due to a combination of me not being familiar enough with the gears and the crappy toe clip pedals that came with the bike. They're getting changed ASAP!

I'm sure I'll be on here looking for some advice in the coming weeks, but I reckon that 20 minutes today has converted me to a budding roadie!

Comments

• Enjoy your new bike, but there is nothing wrong with clips. ;)
  • I started a month ago look around the site there are loads of Q&A's on all aspects of road cycling. I have discovered its about time on in the saddle not have fast you can go. Build up the miles through time, I use strava app on my phone to track myself. I got a set of SPD-SL and shimano shoes I am doing much better
    I was clocking 14mph average but I took the advice of the fine posters on here slowed down and went on a 34 miler last weekend (all be it a 20 extended due to navigation and fun). That ride I paced out 12mph, slower but far more miles.
    I have a carrara TDF comparable with your bike and decent DHB pro bib shorts to comfort my bits. I love it but work means I'm restricted as to how well I can perform so I just enjoy it.
    Don't call me sir I work for a living
  • I started a month ago look around the site there are loads of Q&A's on all aspects of road cycling. I have discovered its about time on in the saddle not have fast you can go. Build up the miles through time, I use strava app on my phone to track myself. I got a set of SPD-SL and shimano shoes I am doing much better
    I was clocking 14mph average but I took the advice of the fine posters on here slowed down and went on a 34 miler last weekend (all be it a 20 extended due to navigation and fun). That ride I paced out 12mph, slower but far more miles.
    I have a carrara TDF comparable with your bike and decent DHB pro bib shorts to comfort my bits. I love it but work means I'm restricted as to how well I can perform so I just enjoy it.

I've been building up the milage on my MTB this summer, so reasonably fit and well used to being on the saddle for up to 2 hours at a time for now. Been tracking my (mainly flat) mtb runs and have a 14.4 mph average speed over 15-20 miles, so hopefully having a bike weighing less than half of my old one will make things a bit easier.

Out of interest, with SPD-SL pedals, is it totally impractical to walk even short distances in them? ie 25-30 meters from bike shed to work door, or up the garden path from my garage?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Not impossible to do short distances just noisy and wears out the heel of the shoe over time (which if you have non-replaceable heel plates is an issue).
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Walking in cleats gets easier the more you do it (but I would advise against anything beyond 50-100m in one go, just because as stated you'll wear the cleats/heels down, and people will stare.)

But for example, doing a sportive or a charity ride, and you stop at one of the pit stops and clip clop to the loo or the food table, things like that are fine. Just be mindful of the fact that you don't have any real grip on the cleats/shoes, so on a smooth surface (a decent bit of pavement or asphalt), you are more likely to slip, particularly if there's any sort of gradient involved. Also because the cleats have a small surface area, you could turn an ankle easier if you're not standing on them properly.

If I make a proper pitstop during a ride (like to pop into the LBS to drool over the new bikes, or into a supermarket to buy a treat), I actually remove my shoes before entering, as I wouldn't want to damage their floor (although I've no idea how likely this is). But that's just me, there are people who will probably reckon walking around a shop in socks looks more ridiculous.
  • karlth
    karlth Posts: 156
    Enjoy your new bike, but there is nothing wrong with clips. ;)

The ones that come on the triban are just the plastic cages, not proper clips.
  • karlth wrote:
    Enjoy your new bike, but there is nothing wrong with clips. ;)

The ones that come on the triban are just the plastic cages, not proper clips.
    Yep.They're called toe clips. Some even come with flats.

Anything else (spdsl/spd) are "clipless"
  • karlth
    karlth Posts: 156
    Yeah, I was just making it clear they weren't like pd1171.jpg
  • karlth wrote:
    Yeah, I was just making it clear they weren't like pd1171.jpg

Yeah, the pedals it came with are like that but without the strap, the plastic bit feels a bit too soft and seems to me that it serves no purpose, as I reckon my foot would pop out if I pulled up with any great force.

Going to purchase some Shimano R540 pedals and a pair of shoes to match next week, I don't plan on doing much walking other than to and from bike sheds and the garage.
  • Just done a 20km ride after dinner there, getting more used to the gearing, but my poor wee hands are missing the front suspension of my MTB, any gloves much better than others?

Long steady climb over 2 miles at one point so had to drop into the middle cog on the front which was a bit rattly, so shifted back up and got on with it, sharp descent aftewards on a crap road full of potholes, mental note taken to avoid that next time.

Found it a lot easier than the MTB, could have easily gone further, but the wife is working nightshift tonight and I had to get home.

Special EffYoo to the driving instructor who got his pupil to overtake me and perform an emergency stop about 30 yards ahead of me. Good job for him I was in a good mood or I'd have taken his wing mirror off with a kick :lol:

Loving the bike so far.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Are you using gloves/mitts - they will help damp the vibrations.

Regarding rattly middle chainring you need to avoid 'crossing' the chain as this can rub on the mech and cause premature wear of the chain. Alternatively it could be you need to 'trim' the gear position by a small adjustment with the appropriate STi lever.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy wrote:
    Are you using gloves/mitts - they will help damp the vibrations.

Regarding rattly middle chainring you need to avoid 'crossing' the chain as this can rub on the mech and cause premature wear of the chain. Alternatively it could be you need to 'trim' the gear position by a small adjustment with the appropriate STi lever.

Not using anything for the hands, never felt I needed to on my MTB, so don't have any gloves/mitts any recommendations? Or will anything do the job? My local Lidl still have some cycling gear and the gloves are about 4 quid.

The chain was straight, maybe needing a wee adjustment, it was only on the middle cog and rattling whatever gear I was in at the back. I'll take it up to Decathlon at the weekend if it persists.
  • Love my Triban! Apparently it's the fastest selling bike in the Uk at the moment! You're lucky they had them in stock! Somebody else said they weren't getting any toll end of September! Was out on mine tonight, even in torrential rain I still love riding it! :D
    It's been a while...