Daft spec question from a newb

the playing mantis
the playing mantis Posts: 2,129
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Is this spec considered any good or fairly average on a 1500 quid bike...? what should be changed?

•Chainset: Shimano 105 10spd
•Cassette: Shimano Tiagra 10spd 11-25
•Chain: KMC X10
•Rear Mech: Shimano 105 10spd
•Front Mech: Shimano Tiagra 10spd
•Gear/Brake Levers: Shimano 105 10spd
•Brake Calipers: Shimano BR-R561

Comments

• Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    what's the frame and wheels?
  • No mate it is below average. For £1500 with only a little looking around (online and physical shops), you will get an all 105 road bike for £1500 these days. The inclusion of Tiagra components for that price is glaring. Consider that at £1600 you will start to see bits of Ultegra on the odd bike, the spec you're looking at should cost £250+ less.

The spec on things like the wheels and/ or finishing kit may be higher as a result of the odd lower group set components but my personal preference would be for a complete 105 group set over better wheels, seat posts or stems etc. Why? Wheels, rims, finishing kit, they are the most common things riders upgrade and keep hold of to carry over to their next bike and will be something you're likely to spend over and above on naturally anyway. So you'll then be able to spend money on your next bike and concentrate on finding one in your price range with a complete higher spec group set than the current bike and carry over those higher grade wheels and finishing kit pieces you're likely to have bought.

Then have an old bike with a slightly better resale value for having a complete 105 group set to sell on/ part-ex.

That's advice based on my own buying and upgrading over the years, as well as those of friends and recommendations by my local retailers. BUT certainly listen to the opinions of people who would say the opposite of me and say get it if the compromise with Tiagra components mean upgrades to the wheels etc.

Hope it helps.
  • hmm thought it was a bit poor, do those wheel make up for it?

•Wheels: Mavic Aksium Black M10
    •Tyres: Hutchinson Equinox 2 black/White

how easy and costly would it be to upgrade to full 105 or ultegra even after purchase If i feel the need later on, and if i were to get my lbs to do it, i appreciate its probably cheaper to getter better spec in the 1st place, but what would the costs be if i didnt) is it possible?

thanks
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    For 1500 you can get full 105 group set (including brakes, they often skimp on those) - no need to get a bitzer!
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • At Ribble you can get a carbon frame & FULL 105 groupset for £999. This particular bike wins the group test in one of this month's cycling mags too! :wink:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6