Advice: multiple bike locks

Ollos
Ollos Posts: 4
edited September 2012 in Commuting general
Hi,

I work at a local college where, as you'd imagine, lots of students cycle in. Recently there have been a few brazen, broad daylight thefts in spite of all storage areas being under CCTV surveillance. As a known staff member who cycles I was asked for my thoughts on possible solutions. My own cycle is locked up with a £50 Squire D-lock which (touch wood) has done fine so far, however a lot of the students bring in cheap cable locks which are an obvious target.

It's been suggested that there's some money to help out here - so my question is does anyone have any experience with this type of problem? Possible ideas were things like the college buying some decent locks and hiring them out to students, or a sort of multi-lock corral if such things can be bought. Do these seem realistic?
If we were to buy 20 or 30 locks, what would be the best level of security to go for - price/security balance?

Any help much appreciated!
Ol

(long time lurker!)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I would be very very careful as you could be opening the college to a whole pile of pain.

education in theft prevention would be better. unattractive bikes and good locks.

a good lock does not really reduce the chances but changes the thiefs options.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown