The CHEAPEST GPS Cycle Computer?

R8JimBob88
R8JimBob88 Posts: 285
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Evening all,

My dad has just got a mountain bike and is loving every minute. I was going to get him a little present like a basic cycle computer but am now thinking about getting him a GPS unit instead.

Just needs basic functionality and the ability to export to a PC.

So what's the cheapest, functioning GPS cycle unit there is? Might even search eBay for an older one if anyone can recommend an older model? Thanks!
If you do what you have always done, you will get what you always got....

Comments

• depending what phone he has, endomondo/strava/route tracker etc.
    other wise look at the Garmin gps's, lots of choices from £150ish +++
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Jimx26
    Jimx26 Posts: 147
    Garmin Edge 200 should be suitable nd available for around £100
  • If he has a smart phone with GPS you might be better served pointing him in the direction of a free app like endomondo. Then buy him a nice pressie from the park tools range.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    The Garmin Forerunner 110 can be picked up for just over £100, ok it's not technically a cycle specific GPS but might be suitable.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • If he has a smart phone with GPS you might be better served pointing him in the direction of a free app like endomondo. Then buy him a nice pressie from the park tools range.
    ^^This.
    Doesn;t even need to be a smartphone, my old Nokia worked just fine, and had far better battery life than any smartphone, and was much tougher.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    R8JimBob88 wrote:
    Just needs basic functionality and the ability to export to a PC.

What do you mean by basic functionality?

You can get GPS tracker devices for around £50. They don't have a screen to show where you are but track your progress and you can export the data to a PC and view afterwards on Google Maps or similar where you have been.

Many older phones support this to. I had a Sony Ericcson phone (sorry can't remember model number) which had GPS functionality and a basic tracker app that did the same.

Is that the kinda thing you mean?
  • you could get a cheap android phone. I use a samsung galaxy mini. The Vodafone Smart is a very cheap android phone, could work well
  • Going of topic slightly, but I would say go for a cheap nokia symbian phone. They normally have very decent hardware installed and you get free sat nav from nokia. They are cheap because symbian sucks as an O/S
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Try and get a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx old item but it does the job about £110 if you Google it. You can use it for routing & it can be used for navigation using an OSM.
    Old Windows Mobiles can use Memory Map Navigator, they can be collected for nothing.
    I'm over 6' and have quite a large head.
  • Going of topic slightly, but I would say go for a cheap nokia symbian phone. They normally have very decent hardware installed and you get free sat nav from nokia. They are cheap because symbian sucks as an O/S
    Symbian is fine as a normal phone system. It just isn't as capable as a smartphone system.
    And you really don't need a smartphone for this use.
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    Your a few days to late... Garmin were offering £30 back on the Edge 200, halfords were then giving a £10 voucher on orders over £80 odd with a list price of £107. Meaning I got one for £67
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Sports Pursuit have great offers on the Brytons. If you use my link I get referral credit too!

http://www.sportpursuit.com/join/bpinnick_d2dbce
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Ben - do you have a Bryton? What are they like use and how do you find the open source mapping?