105 chain on SLX cassette?

cove888
cove888 Posts: 54
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a trek fuel on sram X7 3x10 speed.

The LBS said that the chain is worn and needs replacing, this I agree. He also advised me to replace the rear cassette to a shimano SLX one as it might be worn as well (this i doubt as the teeth are all still very sharp and it doesn't look worn) and for smoother shifting.

For the chain, he recommended the shimano 105 10 speed chain to use. I asked if this was normal to use a road chain on the mtb setup. He said the chain will be the same as the Slx equivalent, just a packaging difference.

So two questions here.
1. Is it alright to use a road chain on mtb groupset? I'm worried I'm being told utter bull. I take that it would work but would it be better to use a mtb specific chain?
2. How to tell if a cassette is worn, are there things you can't judge with a naked eye?

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    there is no difference in the chains.

fit new chain and see what skips.

have a read of the topic on Sheldons pages as he has some photos.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    there is no difference in the chains.

Yes there is, Dyna-Sys chains are not the same for road and MTB, differently profiled outer plates.

p4pb5447206.jpg

That said... I use an Ultegra chain on one my sets of wheels and it's just fine!
  • njee20
    Not enough to actually make a difference (as I said above - use an Ultegra chain and can't tell the difference (on 1x10) to using an XTR/KMC X10SL on a different set of wheels.
  • Cheers for the info guys, so to be clear the chain and cassette per the crc links above will work together? Gonna cost me a fair bit, so just want to be sure.
  • njee20
    It will, but if you're buying new I'd get an MTB chain, not a road one. This one for example. I'd also check the German sites, usually cheaper.

Edit: €51 for both, even with a bit of postage (think it's €6) that's cheaper than CRC.
  • Yep I'm buying new, just got the chain you recommended off crc (the MTB SLX one) as I got the cassette off someone in the sale section. It is £4 more than the 105 but I guess shimano label it MTB for some reason? The LBS guys have the 105 in stock so I will get them to compare it for future reference.

Thanks very much njee, you've been much help! I'm rather new to MTB so got lots to learn.
  • njee20
    It's not 'for some reason' - it's because of the different profile of the outer plates (see photo above).
  • I was under the impression from your photo only the higher up ones ie XTR and dura-ace. pardon my ignorance