Improving My Leg Muscles / Power

bobbydazzla
bobbydazzla Posts: 289
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
I've been cycling for 6 weeks and can go quite far (60 miles) at an OK average speed (15.5mph) over hilly terrain (Northumberland). I don't feel like my heart rate gets particularly high and I feel well fuelled (porridge, energy bars, water) but the power in my legs doesn't feel great and it's frustrating when I start to struggle even on small-ish inclines.

I'm 34, 6ft tall and 11 stone. My legs are thin so I'm presuming I need to increase the muscles to improve my power.

My plan is to do some shorter, faster rides. And some hill repeats. I'm also starting with whey protein to help with muscle recovery and development. Plus more weeks and months spent on the bike should just naturally increase my leg muscles.

Anything else I should consider ? I've already read the various threads on here with disagreeing views about squats.....

Comments

• Keep the cycling up.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Funnily enough...

I've not been doing any bike specific training for a few months but have been working on my overall strength by doing squats and other 'whole body' exercises.

A few days ago I set a PB on a hill I used to test on by 35 seconds (it's only 1.1miles!) and last night I did a power profile test, my 5 mins was reasonable in comparison but I smashed my 1 min best, my sprint was slightly improved...

My weight is lower too.

Yes this survey is n=1 but it shows there is no right or wrong...

However I have to say in doing more than cycling (as I have no dillusions of becoming an elite, or indeed repeating my feats of winning a TT championship like I did a couple of years ago) then doing these exercises is a great way of keeping generally healthy and fit.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    Did someone mention squats :lol:
  • Wouldn't worry about the size of your legs, I'm only 63kg 5' 11 and i can put out over 300
    For a 10 with stick legs, hey look at wiggins :P
    10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
    25 - 53:07 R25/7
    Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152
  • Increasing resistance and cadence is the obvious answer.

But in terms of power measured in actual output, your pedalling technique is of greatest importance. Top-level pros have coaches that analyse their pedal strokes minutely. You could have the hugest 'leg guns' in the West (which most cyclists don't anyway) and not be very fast or powerful.
  • Thanks for the feedback. The comment about pedalling technique is interesting, I find my natural style is to point my toes down when I push rather than keeping the foot flat.

And just to clarify my comments about wanting to build muscle. I'm not trying to develop tree trunk legs - I'm thinking Froome not Forstermann !
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    interval training to lift your lactic threshold is probably the fastest way to see an immediate difference. Let's you go harder for longer. After that I think leg strength focussed exercises do help.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    edited September 2012
    null
  • You don't need much muscle strength to ride a bike fast - what you need is the ability to put out power continually. As mentioned, Brad Wiggins doesn't have massive legs:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... wBA&dur=72
  • +1 for squats and interval training. Squats are also good for core strength and being awesome. Interval training always helps improve power; don't get too stuck at one pace and put little efforts to push yourself.
  • Putting out power continually is the thing I'm aiming for rather than significantly increased muscle bulk.

I want to stay slim (as per Wiggins in that pic), but need to improve the strength (not size) of the leg muscles to generate an increase in power over a longer period. So then I can up my pace and reduce the moments during the longer rides e.g. 40 miles plus, when it feels like my legs have "gone" and I can't get anything out of them.

Have already started some interval training, plus I'm hoping the natural effect of riding for more weeks and months will help a lot.
  • siamon
    siamon Posts: 274
    Increasing resistance and cadence is the obvious answer.

But in terms of power measured in actual output, your pedalling technique is of greatest importance. Top-level pros have coaches that analyse their pedal strokes minutely. You could have the hugest 'leg guns' in the West (which most cyclists don't anyway) and not be very fast or powerful.

Pedaling technique is borderline irrelevant.
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    Here we go again!

You do not need to improve the strength of your legs. Only a pro may benefit from leg strengthening, after they have optimised their fitness levels and power to weight ratio.

You want to go faster for longer eh.....this would mean using a higher gear and as a consequence this means your muscles need more oxygen, and this means your heart needs to be more efficient at pumping more oxygen (in simple terms). Your strength is not limiting you, but your aerobic power/endurance; in simple terms your fitness!!

It has taken me 2 years to increase my average by 3mph over a 60 mile course, through a combination of endurance and tempo riding.
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • I've been cycling for 6 weeks and can go quite far (60 miles) at an OK average speed (15.5mph) over hilly terrain (Northumberland). I don't feel like my heart rate gets particularly high and I feel well fuelled (porridge, energy bars, water) but the power in my legs doesn't feel great and it's frustrating when I start to struggle even on small-ish inclines.

I'm 34, 6ft tall and 11 stone. My legs are thin so I'm presuming I need to increase the muscles to improve my power.

My plan is to do some shorter, faster rides. And some hill repeats. I'm also starting with whey protein to help with muscle recovery and development. Plus more weeks and months spent on the bike should just naturally increase my leg muscles.

Anything else I should consider ? I've already read the various threads on here with disagreeing views about squats.....

Get yourself out with a local fat bloke (I'm Northumberland too!) and you will see how much fitter than him you are!

Stick to doing distance, around here there are plenty of hills to work those legs!
  • GSVBagpuss wrote:
    +1 for squats and interval training. Squats are also good for core strength and being awesome. Interval training always helps improve power; don't get too stuck at one pace and put little efforts to push yourself.
    For general fitness yes. For someone who has been cycling for 6 weeks, the best gains are to be had by cycling.

Funny that isn't it?