Cycling before sunrise

Azhar
Azhar Posts: 247
edited September 2012 in Commuting general
Hello all,

I hope that you are all well.

My shift starts at 8am and I'm normally up for about 0445 and out the door for about 0515. I get to work about 0630ish I've got enough time to freshen up, change my clothes and pop in to tescos to get something to eat and something for lunch. My motivation has dwindled a little bit cos of it being so dark in the morning when I set off. Sun rise is about 0645ish which means I'm doing all of my commute in the dark whereas before it was only half of the commute in the dark before it lightened up enough to switch my lights off around about half way in to my commute.

I've had a look at some bike lights but they go in to the £100-£200 pound mark so that is out of the question but I want to know if you guys still find the motivations to cycle to work or do you use the autumn and winter time to go back on the turbo trainers until spring kicks in?

I have a high-vis coat and bag and not worried about not being seen by motorists but I'm more worried about the potential pothole or the state of the road around a manhole cover that I miss, cause damage or puncture and I'm in the dark repairing a puncture.

Hope you guys can understand where I'm coming from and love to hear what keeps you motivated to cycle when it's raining as well....

Thanks,

Azhar :D

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Very bright lights can be had for £30, no reason to spend that much! You'll never hit a pot hole again.

Also a couple of rear lights will aid visibility, as will reflective strips and stickers.
  • Your a little bit keener than me. I set off at about 5.37, pause for thought is me cue to get out the house, I have two lights on the front. One I have set purely to spot pot holes and the other to blind anyone thinking of pulling out on me.

Daylight cycling is a weekend pursuit now I am afraid. I bought some of those cheap ultrafire light referred to in another thread some where. Had them three years now. Avoid the ones with several brightness setting, they fail. I replace the batteries once a year.
    --
    Saw a sign on a restaurant that said Breakfast, any time -- so I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    You need to go and see someone about how much you worry.

I do it everyday right through the winter cos i dont want to pay £50 a week for travel on PT - two weeks of that sort of saving and i could justify getting some more expensive lights - but you dont really need to!

A decent front light can be had for about 30-50, i personally use 2 x Smart Lunar lux 25 - which is a bit over kill on the front. One blinking one on low beam.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/LIS ... ront_light

And on the back I use this on the bike
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/smart-lu ... 60189.html

This on the bag
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/smart-7- ... 31658.html

and a set of these on my helmet
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/LIS ... _light_set

You'll have no problem being seen or seeing where your going.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • I do shift work with variable starts and finishes day and night and cycle to work all year round regardless of the weather.

LED flashing lights are excellent with good performance and good battery life and so give high visibility without spending a fortune.

However sometimes if weather is very bad and times permit I do occasionally use the local train with my bike so no shame on wimping out occasionally.

Therefore I would say man up and get on with it, eventually it becomes a habit and I always reassure myself that next time will be easier on the bike. Imagine not cycling all winter and then hopping on a bike, it might be a bit of a struggle.
  • Light choice also depends on your route, if like my you use country lanes you are going to need something you can see where you are going as well as being seen.
    Lights of this sort can range from £30-40 for the xml t6 magicshine clones, £50-60 for magicshine lights , £70 for a hope vision 1 or similar up to £100s for top of the line lights.
    Currently running 2 p4 torches powered by AAA batteries that give out approx 80 lumens each, on the back i run a smart r2 and a standard smart flasher on each pannier bag combined with wheel reflectors,reflective tape on the rack,helmet, reflective trim on the gilet/jacket and wrist slaps.
    For full on unlit riding i will swap one of the front lights for a magicshine mj 808.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    I love the darker mornings, winter is a challenge for me,I run with this light, for pothole spotting and for unlit roads,amazing light and I can get up to 4hrs on max with it,it is an off road light so I use it angled down to light the road ahead, with out blinding anyone.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-XM-L-T6- ... 9823wt_922

I also have a flashing Smart Polaris for drivers to see me, and a cateye led for the rear, my helmet has a high viz arm band with 4 leds on it from aldi, threaded through the back of the helmet,I have the catye eye on all the time, with the helmet flashing, great for drivers seeing you, also like you I wear a high viz jacket and bag.

Recently I purchased a set of moglo stickers, great for adding a bit of reflection to your helmet or bike,you can match them to your paint job,mine are black so you wouldn't notice them,until headlights hit them.

Winter is a real challenge, but with the right gear and attitude you can come out of it fitter,ready for spring.

I will post some pics of the stickers, fantastic bit of kit.