Tour of Britain Stage 8 *spoiler*

2»

Comments

• I think WT status would be the wrong move for the ToB, the domestic teams make the race in my opinion.

I'd rather we had a WT level one day race in the UK and leave the ToB as it is.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    I agree with that. Keep it as it is; big teams are already sending big names over. I bet more will come next year.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    afx237vi wrote:
    Great ToB this year, and couldnt have scripted it better - British winner, Cav to win last stage in last race in the bands - and crowds to rival any WT race.

On subject of WT..surely ToB has got to get a jump up in status...?

That would be a bit of a kick in the teeth for all the domestic teams.

I know, that's the downside...but I think Mick Bennett wants it to get higher status. The domestic teams would still be eligible for invites, but clearly less of them would be in.

Higher standard teams doesn't necessarily equate to higher quality racing. Take out all the British domestic teams, for whom this is the biggest race of the year, and replace them with 20 WT teams, for whom this is just another race at the end of a very long season.

Plus... and I'm trying to put this tactfully... maybe the "variable quality" of riders in the ToB made for better racing because the peloton is less controlled and breaks up a bit easier. 20 WT teams will keep a tighter lid on things.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Good win for JTL, good race and approximately 1000x more interesting than WCTTT!
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I'd rather we had a WT level one day race in the UK and leave the ToB as it is.

Yeh, I think this is definitely the way to go rather than elevating the ToB. If the race keeps producing the kind of stages it did this year then the Pro teams will send a few bigger names over anyway. It's in a good position for people who want to use it as a springboard for the Worlds and/or Lombardy.

In my opinion you could have a really good quality one day race in Britain. All the short punchy climbs, twisting roads and often windy conditions make for good racing. Plus the crowds have been amazing this year.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    Very good tactical awareness from Cav after the lead out fell apart. Sat up and left Rowe to go forcing the others to close and lead him out even if he still ended up going for a long one. He'd obviously been keeping his powder dry on the previous few stages for one last win in the bands. I much prefer seeing him win without a full lead out as it shows what a good bike rider he is, for that reason I would like to see him stay put and prove all those detractors wrong when they say he has to be given an armchair ride.