So Evans it is... HELP!

rousseau
rousseau Posts: 10
edited September 2012 in Commuting general
Right, so, me of http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40052&t=12877543 post. Apparently I am limited to Evans after all in the Bike to Work Scheme to which I am restricted.

My problem is that I would have liked to have customised my own Single Speed bike, and had spoken to Foffa about this. (I know there is some disdain for them on here but they are very local to me and it seems to be generally accepted now that they have improved). However, Evans won't entertain the idea of working with Foffa at all.

I have spoken to a few other LBS's and some seem happy to try and work with Foffa in perhaps customising a bike themselves for me and then selling through Evans (with some sort of commission for Evans). I am yet to speak to Evans about whether any other company might be possible.

My questions are thus:

1. Does anyone else have any experience of buying a bike from another LBS through Evans on the Bike to Work scheme?
2. If I am limited to Evans, which Single Speed would be your recommendation? I have a budget of £1,000 to include helmet, locks, etc.

Link here: http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/b ... gear-bikes

Thanks,
Leo

Comments

• I should also add that I am 6'2 and an athlete so although my bike experience might not be expansive, I am at least very fit and would like the challenge of a bike that would push me, and I it.
  • For me it would be a toss up between the Genesis flyer and the Kona paddywagon and seeing as the Kona is fairly generously discounted at the mo I'd probably go for that.

What customisations do you want to make?
  • Well for one, I was hoping for some raised bars as I am not a fan of the position the drops put me in. Then other changes simply aesthetic (colours, wheels, etc.).

Aside from that, and again depending on what I actually bought, an upgrade for the seat and wheels as two main points of contact.

But, obviously these can be done post-purchase, just liked the idea of putting my own bike together really.

I like the Kona, although I would get rid of that lurid 'PaddyWagon' text on the frame.
  • I built up a bike of my own so can understand that.

On a drop barred bike you would spend the majority of time on the tops/hoods anyway and if you're relatively young and fit with reasonable flexibility and core strength you would adapt to the position in no time so I wouldn't worry too much about that. (Obviously the bike still needs to be the right size/fit for you).

I would get a bike and see how you get on with the stock spec before thinking about upgrading (eg. if the saddle is super comfortable for you anyway then little point in "upgrading"). The only exception to that (aside from aesthetic changes) would be the tyres. If it’s for commuting you want puncture protection and stock tyres are rarely up to much (even on good/expensive bikes). My preference is Schwalbe Durano Plus.
  • Thanks Godders1.

I have just noticed that there are a selection of SS's in the 'Track Bike' section of Evans' site which state their suitability for road use as well (some obviously aren't).

Would you recommend any of these too? The guy I spoke to in the shop seemed to be a big fan of Bianchi bikes.

http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/bikes/track-bikes
  • The Bianchis look like they would do the job although the drop barred model only has a front brake. At a glance the only other bikes that look like they might be suitable for road use are the Fujis but I don't know much about them I'm afraid.

A "proper" track bike wouldn't be suitable primarily because it won't have brakes! They are designed for speed over short distances so probably not going to be terribly comfortable for a commute; the frame will be super stiff and the position would be pretty low and aero. eg check out the distance from saddle to bars on the Bianchi Pista Sei Giorni and compare it to the Genesis and kona bikes mentioned above. Definitely not for you if you're after a more upright position.

They're also usually fixed gear (as opposed to single speed with a freewheel) so not sure if that would be an issue for you. They also won't have bosses for fitting mudguards, luggage racks etc.

They will get you there and back but not the most practical choice imo.
  • FYI:

I popped into Evans this morning and the guy there suggested three bikes on the Evans Single Speed roster...

Cinelli Mystic Rats 2012
    Globe Roll 2
    Cooper Sebring 2012

He'd also mentioned the Paddy Wagon but I had said I preferred not to use drop bars.

Thoughts?