Best way to protect your bike cosmetically?

WoodsRider
WoodsRider Posts: 24
edited October 2012 in MTB general
Hi everyone,

I've just ordered myself a new bike, and I can't wait for it to arrive so I can get out and go on it! However, I would like to take all the necessary steps to ensure my bike will be protected! Does anyone have any suggestions on what is the best way to protect the cosmetics of your bike?

Thanks, Pat

Comments

• Chain stay protector, heli tape for cable rub.

You won't be able to keep it in perfect condition but these help.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I am afraid the only way to keep it pristine is to leave it in the box. If your worried about resale value dont panic a collection of dents, scatches and rub marks is expected. Just use Helicopter tape or patches to protect from cable rub and put some Heli tape on the down tube to protect against rock strikes and your good to go.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Agree with the above; bare minimum would be a bit of tape to protect from cable-rub and a cut up old tube on the chainstay. Best way to 'avoid' scratches, dents and gouges is to ride it. You can't see them when the bike is under you.
  • Thanks to everyone for the advice! Leaving it in the box would be nice to keep it looking great, but now that I think about it, it's will look even better all muddy! So I think I'm just going to go with a chainstay protector and some heli tape! Thanks again, Pat
  • There is a french company which do whole bike sticker kits. Not sure it's helicopter as their videos apply it when wet. But these are whole bike affairs. I'll try n find the name if the company or you couldnsearch on Dailymotion for bike tape
  • Can't mind but it could be these guys. They protect everything.

http://www.clear-protect.com/kit-de-pro ... yclos.html
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    But why would you want to, seriously.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Did mine recently, big strip of heli tape to down tube, patches on areas where cable rub will occur. Heli tape round both rear stays and a chain protector on one side.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just cover it in mud, hides a multitude of honourable battle scars!

Works with legs as well!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.