Which tablet - Nexus7 or Galaxy Tab 10.1?

phz
phz Posts: 478
edited September 2012 in The hub
Finally about to plunge into to the world of tablet ownership and have narrowed it down to these two.

Nexus
+ives - faster processor, newer OS, relatively cheap
-ives - no (micro)SD slot, smaller screen

Galaxy
+ives - SD slot, bigger screen
-ives - slower processor, older OS, slightly more expensive

Leaning towards the Nexus myself, but anyone out there got experience of both and/or an opinion to offer. Will be used for surfing, video, bit of gaming, emails, etc.

slainte :?: rob

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    May not be much help if you are set on these, but I got a Playbook and it is awesome...
  • The lack of a micro sd on the nexus isn't really a problem, just use this app and a usb stick for extra storage
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... 3J0ZXIiXQ..
    On One 456
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Ribble 7005 Audax
  • Rykard
    Rykard Posts: 582
    we got a gt 10.1 as the screen was easier to read.
    Cheers
    Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Nexus 10 is about to be announced but not sure when it will hit the shops.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • depending what your going to use it for, the bigger screen has its advantages for watching video's, films etc. but is slightly less portable, - in comparison to a netbook (same size screen) its a Lot more portable!!
    the difference in specs is most likely really something you wont really notice, we all get tied up on having to have the latest bestest spec's on our toys but the reality being that they can be quite small details!
    ive got a 10" flytouch tablet (cheapy jobby!!) which i use mainly for surfing and the odd bit of youtubing, its a lot more social than a laptop/netbook,
    given the choice, id go for a larger one!! but as above, have a quick look through the tech sites for the latest version and when its likely to come out, could be worth hanging ion for a Bigger discount on older stock!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • We got a pair of 7's to replace out rapidly dying collection of laptops and so far we been loving them. Yes, the screen is a bit smaller but if you are going to be using it to go online and surf, emails, some light media consumption etc. then its really nice. Its been quite good for video calls too, especially as I like to wonder around the room/house when talking.
    Probably a little small for several people to really enjoy watching movies on though. I actually quite like the smaller size as its less gadget real estate to sit behind when there are other people around so its a bit more social. Although the difference is much bigger when compared to laptops/netbooks.

Does the Galaxy tab features options for a 3g/4g connection? The Nexus don't but I don't know if that will be relevant for you. I've yet to use it somewhere I couldn't be on WiFi, and if I really wanted to I could turn my phone into a WiFi hotspot.

As for memory goes, there are so many other options for storage. From the various cloud services, usbs, or even creating your own 'cloud'. Today I should get a NAS hard drive giving me 2tb of storage I can access from anywhere. And of course it depends on your storage needs too. We got the small 7, but I don't think either of us are even remotely close to filling them up yet.

Also, I don't think the difference in spec/OS will really matter too much. We got 3 different versions of Android between us and the actual use difference is very small. Its more talked about than experienced as far as we have been able to tell.
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    Thanks for the replies. Went for the Nexus in the end. So far seems pretty good. Excellent screen and good HD playback.

Good call on alternative storage solutions. Already have Google drive and Ubuntu 1 accounts so cloud storage is an easy option for most stuff (including music for streaming), and one of the USB solutions should be good for movies etc.

slainte :D rob